There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions in Central and East Africa

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM by GuateGojira )

I think this male lion is the same male with the woman, both are the male of 250 kg, at least is what I think.

About the tiger of 705 lb (320 kg), I have state previously that I firmly believe that this tiger was baited, this because as far I know, all the hunted tigers from Nepal were baited, after all, Nepal was the place where this method was invented. We know that tigers in Nepal eat between 14-19 kg in a period of 24 hours, but in exceptional cases they can eat up to 35 kg, in the largest males. In this case, the empty belly weight of this Nepalese giant was probably between 285 - 300 kg empty belly, still a real giant. The paint in the book shows a true giant cat, so a figure of c.290 kg is very real, in the case of this Nepalese giant.

The dimensions of the large tiger in my image with the Rusty-spotted cat where those of the giant of Brander (221 cm in head-body and 110 cm at the shoulder), but this size constitute the maximum recorded in modern tigers, in fact, even the Jankovski's Amur tiger of 330 cm "between pegs" probably measured c.220 cm in head-body too. Animals like that surely weighed no less than 272 kg (600 lb) "empty" and I think that the maximum figure that a wild tiger would be able to reach is c.300 kg, but this were probably very exceptional cases.

A tiger of c.220 cm in head-body, c.115 cm in shoulder height and up to 290-300 kg is the maximum that an exceptional tiger could get (up to 330 cm including the tail), but in these days I think that a tiger of c.200 cm in head-body, c.100 cm in shoulder height and up to 250-260 kg is a really big animal.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
Lions in Central and East Africa - peter - 04-27-2014, 02:54 AM
RE: Lions in Central and East Africa - GuateGojira - 06-09-2015, 09:02 AM