There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(03-02-2022, 05:23 AM)Khan85 Wrote: Upon request, he went through all of his data to give me a proper conclusion.

¨I've taken the time to take a look at my database provided by multiple zoological collections and this is what I found: 

The ranking as per the forelimb bones: 
1. Panthera onca 
2. Panthera Spelaea 
3. Neofelis 
4. Panthera tigris 
5. Panthera leo 

The difference between Onca and the Cave lion was limited, and the former showed slightly more developed muscle attachment. The difference in between Panthera tigris and panthera leo was very little, but the former had muscle attachments that exceeded the latter by a sizeable amount. 

Panthera onca had the widest ribcage followed by panthera spelaea. 

The difference between hindlimb robusticity was barely noticeable between the 5 species. 

Bengal tigers showed slightly bulkier builds than siberian tigers but they did not have more robust bones. 

Best regards 
Per¨

------------------------------------------------------

¨I am not allowed to disclose the exact sample sizes but i can tell you that all of them combined into one would normally result in over 60 specimens.  

Per¨

I think that jaguars deserve more respect and attention. They are a tank in the cat family.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - GuateGojira - 03-02-2022, 05:32 AM