There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-22-2022, 11:37 PM)Khan85 Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 11:33 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 11:11 PM)Khan85 Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 01:42 AM)SpinoRex Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 08:23 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:04 PM)SpinoRex Wrote: I dont think thats the right argument tbh. But anyways as i said its about the same

It is not the same. Old bones lost condition with time, this is showed in all the cases of skulls that when dried and now they weight less with time. Some bones may even shrink or turn to dust if they were not correctly prepared (boiled) and sadly, that is a common factor.

So Khan85 is right, bones may weigh or measure less than they original mass with time, if not correctly prepared. This detail is important in comparison, together with the status of the animal, the age, sex, subspecies/population, origin (wild or captive), health status, and other things that I may forget now.

All i know is that the lion sexes were mixed and subspecies unknown (asiatic or african) and had a humerus length of c.312mm and the Bengal Tigers also (c.314 mm). The heaviest tiger humerus was still in the average range for lions. What i noticed that tigers had constantly heavier left sided bones although the right bones were longer.

Yes you are right. Those studies have most of the time not detailed infos but arent useless. Anyways the difference are basically no differences. I dont know how major those differences are....

The 4 lions were captive and the tigers were unknown, but most probably from deceased wild tigers since they were procured by Department of Wildlife Health and Management.
Do you have the study available?
Anatomical Features of some Forelimb Bones of Lions (March 2021)

Anatomical Study on Humerus of Tiger (March 2014)

Thx, I’ll check them out when I have time.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - Pckts - 02-23-2022, 12:06 AM