There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(02-15-2022, 07:58 PM)SpinoRex Wrote: I confused it. It isnt smuts study but that doenst matter.

Everytime when we talk about these nonterretorial onse. Remember that they arent even terretorial ones and at the same time are solitary big cats and that in africa. One must remember that nomadic lion alliances are also nonterretorial males and therefore are included in the study. Those factors dont necessary mean being heavy but being more consistent in a healthy and good range, which is the reason they didnt eat more than the MDR.

Nonterretorial males did it clearly (Low and high, 13 kg vs 9 kg meat). Now if those comparisons are made (comparing solitary big cats and pride big cats) then everyone should be aware of the differences in their food intake and general life style. I dont know how heavy nonterretorials males and small alliances are when they are doing it but they are clearly heavier than pride males. Its even more interesting when you include the fact that nonterretorial males had definetely more to do with hyenas and scavengers (Many of their kills were scavenged by prides as well)

Quote:Spotted hyaenas were rarely present in high numbers atkills made by the different lion group types. They were present least often at kills made by territorial males( X =0.9/kill, N =33 kills, and most often at kills made by nonterritorial males ( X =3.2/kill, N =37 kills).
So once you are comparing a solitary lion with his own area(like a terretory) or something close to it(wthout living in permanent serious danger).... it will be without any shadow bigger than a pride male. And there is also no doubt because of the sample size (food intake, meat available, prey killed)

Quote:I personally estimated that 14 kg will be "ok" for females and 17 kg will be "ok" for males, for stomach content corrections, taking in cound that M-91 (the biggest male from Panna), one of the biggest males captured in India, did had only 19 kg in a full night of feedings, so regular males probably ate less.
I looked at the average meat consumed on average / day and added it up with the other numbers by looking at the sample size. Also there were only 2 males (M105, 102) analyzed and both consumed 19 kg on average for 3 days looking at the other paper.

So you were confused with Smuts. Is possible that you are also confused with the entire document conclutions too?

I still can't believe that conclusion about the territorial vs non-territorial. It do not make sense at all, honestly. They are painting a completelly different history about what we know about lions, specially males. Territorial males need to be big and powerfull (and they are) while nomadic are normally smaller and attack in groups to take on the pride members and they grow bigger when they are territorial, with big fat bellies and luxury manes. I think that the paper that you are using need to be analize in deep because there are several factors that to not match.

About your second statement, I am confuse, now you say that a solitary lion will be like a territorial one is there is no serious danger? That IS a territorial lion in that case, and 100% sure that will have a few lionesses with him. Sorry, but that statement do not add anything new.

About the food intake in Nepalese tigers, yes, only two adults males were used in the study of Dr Sunquist, but I do not see in what part of the paper specifically says that those two events were the only ones. Can you show it? Because if you are talking about what he says in page 76 (frist paragraph in the right), those are just 2 examples with males, but are not the only events, and he is putting them as an example to show how much a male can eat in comparison with females (124 kg against 19 kg). Remember that he recorded 38 events, obviously they got more than 2 events from males. Also in Table 20 you can see 26 of those events (remember that when the tigers made a kill, then they weighed the consumption in both, baits and wild kills) and from them 7 are from adult males. So you can see, there are more thant just 2, and also those from Table 20 are just the kills actualy made, we still need to include when they shared kills between males-females-cubs as Sunquist describe, also, in page 76.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - GuateGojira - 02-15-2022, 08:44 PM