There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 09:42 PM by Shadow )

(09-22-2020, 08:51 PM)Yusuf Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 08:07 PM)Shadow Wrote: @Yusuf  We have some discussion with moderators. It´s not about it, that lions couldn´t be discussed, it´s about it, that how. We have here people, who like a lot about tigers and people who like a lot about lions, jaguars, wolves, bears, leopards etc. Some are more active than others, some just read postings.

Moderators do their best to be as "peacekeepers" and of course also trying to look after it, that not total rubbish posted. Especially on purpose. You have been walking on a thin line here. Looks like that misquoting @peter and also some attitude problems with @Pckts and @GuateGojira . I don´t know and frankly saying I don´t care what has happened in other forums. If you want to post and discuss here, then I recommend that you keep calm and also try to understand what others say, don´t immediately think, that biased against you or lions. 

Lion threads of Wildfact are nowadays even more popular than tiger threads when looking at numbers of visitors. Both, tigers and lions are respected here as well as other animals, even though time to time there are debates.

We have to have some discussion between moderators. My advice now is, if you want to be here. Focus more to provide good information and valid sources, don´t focus too much to "win" something. When posting good information, people who are interested do read it. If there is criticism, don´t take it personally, you can explain better if your case is strong.

But for instance those lions relocated to Rwanda, I hope that you understand why people, including me, have a good reason to believe, that those weights aren´t actual weights of those lions. I would make same comments if someone would write, that 5 tigresses 180-190 kg and two male tigers 250 kg would have been relocated, those weights are that big. Maybe in limits of possible in some way, but same time practically impossible, when talking about wild big cats. I mean that many exceptional individuals same time same place.

I´ve said this in many occasions, but usually when something looks too good to be true, it isn´t.
 You are right but the source seems to be ok in my opinion. With picture they showed the lion.

But you are right. But do not forget if a lion pride is very successful all lions in the pride seem to be very heavy. 

Maybe I can get more informations. Best regards.

Yes healthy sisters could be close in weight. Still 180-190 kg is extreme weight for lioness and that should ring alarm bells always even if talking about one lioness. Then again those lions weren´t from same pride. They were gathered from different prides, this document tells, that two lionesses were sisters, another pair were mother and daughter and fifth not related in any way to others. You can see from page 182 forward: https://portals.iucn.org/library/sites/l...006-En.pdf

This is then again NatGeo documentary from this relocation. Somewhat dramatic narration, but lions can be seen clearly and not looking to be especially big or small.

These lions are just one example, but I wanted to make this case clear. And this project was interesting one, maybe some people find that documentary interesting, most definitely worth to watch for people who like lions and interested about conservation projects.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - Shadow - 09-22-2020, 09:32 PM