There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-04-2020, 10:27 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 07:23 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: I don’t know about which lions he has seen in the past, but I know he was filming in Savuti. 
Which also has impressive looking males. 

Here is what he said about male lions from the Okavango Delta:
Male lions in the Okavango Delta, a lush wetland where the Okavango River collides with the Kalahari Desert, are the largest lions on Earth, said filmmaker Dereck Joubert. Dereck and his wife, Beverly, both National Geographic explorers-in-residence, made a film about how these male lions survive,

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/41584-photos-the-biggest-lions-on-earth.html

Interesting article, so they do mentioned "males". Now, my question is what is the experience of the Jouberts in "size" especifically. I know that they are experts in lion behaviour and ecology and I REALLY respect that. But how many lions had they captured, or what is the point of appreciation to say that those lions were the largest?

I mean, this is the same case as the lions of the Crater and the tigers of Kaziranga and Orang, there are several people in litterature and the web that say that those lions/tigers are the largest, but there are no measurements to prove it. At least we have a couple of measurements from Assam tigers (and they are not exceptionally large in comparison with other Bengal/Nepal populations) and we have chest girth measurements from the Ngorongoro crater (and, again, they are not exceptional compared with populations of lions in Southern Africa region).

So, I don't want to sound "exceptical" but unless they can provide evidence that those lions are really "large", they statement will be just they personal appreciation.

For the moment, my vote for the largest lions are those from South Africa.

All I said was that they where large and capable of reaching those big sizes as other lions do. I think Joubert from over the years can tell if a lion is big or small. However I agree that we need more evidence to back it up about them being the biggest. 

Biggest lions are from Kgalagadi and probably also in Chobe and Etosha, which has migrating lions from the Kalahari. 
Private parks in South Africa has gotten lions from Etosha and Kgalagadi in them as well. Madikwe has a reputation for having very big lions. 
"The lion in Madikwe were originally introduced into the park from Etosha National Park (in Namibia).  However, recently two new males were introduced from the Kgalahadi Transfrontier National Park in order to introduce new genes into the pool."
https://www.madikwegamereserve.co.za/big-5/ 
Who knows, but I just don’t see Kruger lions being that big.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - Pantherinae - 04-04-2020, 07:26 PM