There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-02-2020, 10:09 PM by peter )

PC

Good info. Thanks on behalf of all.

a- Questions

1 - Can you ask them what method they use to measure the total length of jaguars ('over curves' or 'between pegs')?

2 - Do they measure the head and body length and the length of the tail seperately? 

3 - Do they really measure the belly circumference or do they use a different method to get to an accurate estimate? I ask because biologists at times only measure a part of the chest circumference. The reason is some wild ats are too heavy to move.   

4 - Why do they measure the belly circumference and not the chest circumference?

5 - Do they measure the circumference of the neck directly below the skull or just above the shoulders? 

6 - Do they measure the circumference of the skull just before or just behind the ears?

b - Differences between different big cat species

The answers are needed in order to be able to compare jaguars and Sumatran tigers. Dimensionwise, there seem to be species-related differences between the big cats. I measured captive Sumatrans and Amurs. The captive male lions I measured had bigger chests and skulls than the male Amur tigers and seemed a bit more robust up front, but the Amurs, although measured and weighed after a prolonged period of neglect, were a bit heavier. 

All in all, I conclusion that weight in tigers isn't a direct result of robustness, but something else. I got to a similar conclusion on wild Indian tigers shot a century ago. The only more or less consistent difference between (both captive and wild male) lions and tigers I found is tigers have (relatively) bigger fore-arms. Males of large subspecies also are a bit longer.

Captive tigers often appear a bit lankier than captive lions, but reliable information says they're as heavy or heavier. Wild Indian tigers not seldom are quite muscular and robust. This is the reason I think they could be heavier than many assume.

Anyhow. In order to compare the big cats, details are needed. See what you can do and thanks in advance.
1 user Likes peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - peter - 01-02-2020, 10:01 PM