There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-23-2017, 04:31 AM by epaiva )

(03-19-2017, 07:55 PM)peter Wrote: EPAIVA

Nice photograph! 

In museums, skulls usually have a number. Same for the one in the photograph below. It's on the mandibula: I-3702. Directly after the number, you see ♀. This means the skull belonged to a female (♀ = female and ♂ = male).

In 2012, I measured a lot of leopard skulls in the Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart. Most of them belonged to leopards shot about a century ago in what is now Tanzania. Most female skulls were a tad longer (ranging between 170-200 mm. in greatest total length), but the canines in the female puma skull from Venezuela are more robust: 

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is a photograph of a puma killed by a jaguar with a skull bite. Found it on Carnivora Forum some time ago. No information on gender and location:  

In regions where they co-exist, jaguars usually are bigger and heavier than pumas. Based on greatest total skull length, I'd say the largest pumas live in the northwestern part of the US and in southwestern Canada. Patagonian pumas almost compare, but seem to have larger teeth.

Large pumas seem to be a bit longer than large leopards, but leopards usually have longer (up to 280 mm. in greatest total length or a bit over) and more robust skulls.
A Big Ranch in the Venezuelan Llanos named Hato El Frio of more than 629 square kilometers has Jaguars, Pumas and Ocelots, in the north of the Ranch it has two rivers that cross the ranch it is the home of the Jaguars where if you are really lucky can see one of them and you do not find Pumas around that part of the Ranch because they avoid the larger more powerful Jaguar, in that part of the ranch we saw a few Ocelots, it seens that Jaguars dont care much about predating Ocelots. In the South of the ranch far from the rivers you find a good number of Pumas and very few Ocelots, one day when I was trying to find a Puma we found an Ocelot very hight in a tree escaping from a Puma, I took pictures of the Ocelot and videos too but the Puma when away very fast and I had no time to take pictures and video of it. Jaguars and Pumas in the Venezuelan Llanos do not attack people when ever they see humans they go away.
5 users Like epaiva's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - epaiva - 03-20-2017, 04:56 AM