There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Ngonya Offline

(06-10-2023, 07:02 PM)Balam Wrote:
Official and scientific updated data for jaguar weights from Porto Jofre:

This a sneak peak of the weight data that will be publicized on the latest release of the Jaguar ID Project guide. This data was given by Fernado Tortato and Ronaldo Morato of Panthera to Abigail Martin:

*This image is copyright of its original author

IMPORTANT COMMENTS TO KEEP IN MIND:
  • The average for the female includes two immature specimens, one is a cub. Without them, their average would be above 70 kg.
  • Adriano weighed 130 kg empty as a young adult of around 4 years of age, just as I thought. In his later years, he would've certainly weighed much more.
  • M03 was also rather young when he registered the amazing weight of 136 kg, at around 5 years of age, so was the record male of the area Lopez, and second largest Pantanal jaguar on record after Joker. Lopez likely surpassed 150 kg in his prime years (8-9), Joker registered those outstanding body measurements at age of 8, for example.
  • Iko (Cage) weighed 120 kg on his latest capture, and Katu 92 kg on one of his earlier captures which is the one shown here, latest captures yielded higher values. @Ngonya you may like this information.
  • Oktober weighed 110 kg as sub-adult of less than 2 years of age! At full grown size we would've likely had another huge male.
  • Overall, the weights from Porto Jofre are on average quite a bit lower than those shown in Caiman Ecological Refuge in the south where not a single adult male has been registered in recent times below 100 kg and most adult males are in the 115-120 kg range, the females in the south are also much larger in size. However, Porto Jofre is also capable of producing huge 130+ kg specimens, and even 140+ kg ones. I think the most recent batch of dominant males from Porto Jofre are larger though, males like: Aba, Balam, Inka, Odin, Edno, Xingu, Bororo, etc. These are all likely 120+ kg specimens in my opinion but we need captures to confirm this.
Adrinano (130 kg young male) mating with Jagua (70 kg). Adriano was captured on that evening:

Credits: Rhoda Perkins-Boyer

amazing amount of information. Nice post as usually. Is Ousado, M61 & Gaucho considered small/skinny Jaguars? 
I'll try to find some pictures of them. If its possible i would like if u send some here! I appreciate that
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Ngonya - 06-10-2023, 11:40 PM