There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-15-2022, 03:00 AM by Dark Jaguar )

It doesn't surprise me the Chaco jaguar matching the Pantanal skull, its just like the Cerrado jags, they overlap with the Pantanal and Porto Primavera ones not only in weight and dimensions but also they are very similar in size to those from Chaco. My guess is also the overlapping absolutely occurs on the skull department, if only we had measurements of Cerrado specimens. but we already have a small taste of it.

Left: Adult Pantanal male jag skull

Right: Adult Cerrado male Jag skull (Tiago male)

As you all know both were killed in territorial intraespecific fight to death. That Cerrado jag skull is huge, in 2020 Pckts made an estimation on the skull size and the result was really of a big specimen (as Tiago really is).

*This image is copyright of its original author

Regarding Adriano's measure I just rechecked my email again from back then (when I got Adriano's measurements with Dr. Fernando Tortato) as you all already know he said to me ''We usually use a malleable measuring tape that involves the animal's body''. BUT there's something else he said in the end that I didn't pay attention back then (too excited focused on Adriano's size lol) in addition he said ''I don't remember exactly which tape we used in 2012 to capture Teo.''  

As you can see bellow not only can we see which measuring tape was used but it was on the hands of the master Dr. Crawshaw. Obviously this could mean anything but there is good chances of Adriano/Teo/M11 have been measured the correct way.

*This image is copyright of its original author

During my conversations with Dr. Peter Crawshaw on a topic about girth dimensions (as Head Girth is my favorite measurement) I even mentioned to him there was a male jaguar named Adriano of 130 kg that was 85 cm tall and big head circumference captured by Fernando Tortato  and was measured over the curves (due to the melleable tape Panthera usually use). But the thing is, Panthera team calls Adriano as both ''M11 and Teo''. Rafael Hoogesteijn in our conversation also referred that jaguar to me as ''Tel''. Back then I didn't know Dr. Crawshaw was involved in Adriano (Tel, M11) capture. what a coincidence, If I used the name ''Teo or M11'' instead of ''Adriano'' while talking to Dr. Crawshaw I could've gotten more detailed information, if only I knew it in time, sadly.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 02-15-2022, 02:54 AM