There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Thanks @peter  Its interesting to see that Xangô Cerrado male compares in head/neck/chest circumference measurements with a few Siberian Tigresses, thanks for letting me know, the circumference is the department jaguars are quite remarkable despite being short cats.

These sorts of infos indeed takes all of the words you said along with dedication and patience, that's our passion for wildlife and we gotta chase these datas. I already said to Cristina how thankfully I am for her amazing contribution and help and these datas will be appreciated by people who likes wildlife from all over the world, these sort of informations provided is such an achievement as very few people would contribute to provide them and this one is a rare one to get, I coudn't believe when she sent his entire biometric body measure datas as I only asked her the few basic measurements to not be too pushy asking her too much. But she sent me the whole thing, it really brought a huge smile upon my face. Not all people would provide such complete data. I told her Xangô will help bring us lots of knowledge on the sizes of the Cerrado jaguar population.

The NEX No Extinction Institute is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) aimed at defending endangered wild cats (and shelters other animals), it maintains a Scientific Breeding for Conservation Purposes. Founded in 2001 NEX is an official entity, legally recognized and approved by Organs responsible bodies, upon proof of competence, capacity to carry out and maintain the proposed project. They receive wild animals in bad conditions from IBAMA, CETAS or CRAS to take care of them if they got condition to return to the wild they will be trained to do so but NEX would keep the ones that aren't able to return to the wild.

Their main focus isn't really to capture wild jaguars but to help them (and other cats) if they unable to continue their wildlives as well as to keep healthy pure genetics in captivity for future conservation purposes (specially from the Cerrado population). Xangô was a different case as he was too close from the sanctuary area and often got lured by the scent of the captive females jaguars from NEX sanctuary and visited that area rather often and stick around in those wild areas where the sanctuary is located, so in that particular case NEX contacted permission of CENAP/ICMBio to capture Xangô for the first time in 2013 to study his movements. Although captured 8 times Xangô was the only wild jaguar NEX captured and monitored so far.

Not sure if you remember but the jaguar named Merlin who unfortunately got blind by gunshot in Maranhão (Northeast Brazil) I posted here about a year ago, he is living and being taken care at NEX. Luísa wild Caatinga female is not able to live in the wild anymore as she suffered again (I am preparing a post specially for her) and she is also living at NEX Institution being very well taken care of.

Ousado male from north Pantanal who was rescued from the fires in the pantanal last year, he got completely recovered at NEX as they took care of his burnt paws and other serious physical issues he dealt with, and Ousado is now roaming free back in the wild Pantanal, another jaguar from Pantanal who was rescued and taken to NEX at around the same time as Ousado but sadly did not have the same luck was Amanaci female (I already posted about the weight of both here, but they were unhealthy in bad shape due to the fires of Pantanal). Amanaci unfortunately wasn't as lucky as Ousado as her claws mechanism wasn't working properly anymore and it wasn't efficient enough to help her taking down her natural preys in the wild so they decided to keep her at NEX in her new home being very well taken care.

Another amazing case was the amazonic wild female jaguars Pandora and Vivara who lost their mother as cubs (likely killed by poachers) and both sisters were sent to Brasília State of Brazil, and they stayed at NEX Sanctuary being well taken care of surrounded by Biologists and Veterinarians, they both grew up there at NEX No Extinction Sanctuary. In 2018 already grown up the sisters were taken back to the Amazon for the rewild process, at moment of release both sisters received collars and were released at Serra do Cachimbo, located on the border between Pará and Mato Grosso.

NEX also provided a female jaguar to Argentina for the reintroduction procedure of the jaguar population in Iberá which the result was a success.

So thats what they do, its an incredible institution on a daily basis fight to preserve and help wildlife as much as possible, they're warriors of conservation and wildlife.

Cristina Gianni and Xangô

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 06-15-2021, 07:36 PM