There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2021, 04:34 PM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar @Pckts @epaiva @peter @Lycaon @KRA123

I know you guys are going to like this one, specially epaiva and Lycaon who seem to like the Llanos jaguars as much as I do.

I have the first weight information of a Llanos jaguar that's recent and from the Colombian side!

I was having a conversation today with Jorge Barragán the owner of Hato la Aurora concerning all the international press received recently which can be seen in the Llanos jaguar thread, and among the things we discussed was the weight of this female that was collared:

*This image is copyright of its original author
Her name is Aurora she was collared in 2018 at the age of two years where she weighed 70 kg! And according to him she's in much better condition now with her own son Jojoto, he tells me he thinks she probably weighs around 90 kg based on how well fed she is:

As DJ and Pckts probably know Aurora female from Caiman Ecological Refuge was named in tribute to Hato la Aurora when they went over there with Panthera as part of their ecotourism studies, in exchange they gave the name of Esperanza to a female from La Aurora which is the name of one of the main matriarchs from Caiman, so the Esperanzas and Auroras from both ranches are connected as tributes to both areas.

@tigerluver did a really good job in the size comparisons thread estimating the size proportions of Mapire male in contrast to a Brahman cow that had passed by in the same area:

Based on the data I was able to gather for the rump/hip height of cattle including Brahman, Mapire likely measures anywhere in between 75 to 85 cm in shoulder height depending on the height of the cow in the picture who is a mature one. Mr. Barragán told me that Mapire was not the largest male from the ranch, he thinks Cachilapo, Caricare and Faculto are larger than him, pictures of those males are posted in the Llanos jaguar thread but I will repost Cachilapo because I genuinely think he's massive:

Cachilapo:

Mapire is very big on his own right as well:

So based on all of this information I think it's safe to assume that this jaguars are easily just as big as those from the areas of the Pantanal where they grow really large like Caiman Ecological Refuge or Fazenda Barranco Alto, in fact Rafael Hoogesteijn said exactly that on a live with Panthera.

I'm more than excited to see what values these males show when they get captured, such a fascinating area.
7 users Like Balam's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Balam - 05-22-2021, 08:39 PM