There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

I am gonna drop this post paying homage to the Master and Legend Dr. Peter Crawshaw, some jaguars captured by him and other with his participation including statements by Crawshaw himself, such a humble guy.

Pita male from Porto Primavera

*This image is copyright of its original author

As he described him to be a very short jaguar in height but very thick, muscular robust with very impressive measurements.

I feel really greatful to have gotten the measurements from him of these 3 porto primavera jaguars (Pita, Zezão and Suely).

Crawshaw and Pita Porto Primavera male of 122 kg

Zezão male.

Something I didn't mention here in the forum Dr. Crawshaw said was that a few months before the capture of Zezão melanistic male there was another Dark male from Porto Primavera of 116 kg who was unfortunately killed in one of the farms.

These large dark jaguars clearly shows what Dr Crawshaw stated in one of his interviews that Porto Primavera region Used to produce the largest Melanistic Jaguars in the Planet

In addition to that, with the particular massive Dark melanistic male jaguar of 125 kg (Preto Pintado de Preto) unfortunately poached by Platero in Fazenda Santa Clara which was the whole reason I started my first ever conversation with Crawshaw about that specific large 125 kg Dark male jaguar from Porto Primavera that was killed in Faz. Santa Clara - Anaurilândia. Back then I was wondering if he could be from Cerrado but Crawshaw told me Faz. Santa Clara is neither At. Forest nor Cerrado, its was part of a very unique, reach in biodiversity mini biome akin to the Pantanal in the the Varjões do Paranazão called Porto Primavera which today it is unfortunately found underwater and the rest of the story you guys already know.

Zezão Porto Primavera male 110 kg.

These jaguars captured bellow Crawshaw accompanied their captures campaign.

Capture of Peter Schmidt male jaguar.

He was recaptured at Fazenda São Bento (São Bento farm) in Porto Jofre North Pantanal by Panthera with the researchers Alison Devlin, Fernando Tortato, Joares May and Peter Crawshaw himself and here are a few words by him about this capture.

Year: 2013

https://www.facebook.com/peter.crawshaw/...5174937663

Peter Crawshaw

''First capture of the campaign, on the first night: a recapture of a male first captured in 2010. Although not working for quite some time, both the collar and the neck of the animal were in perfect condition. The collar was replaced by a new one and it is now already transmitting the locations of this male, which this morning is 5 km from where he was captured and released (photos Dr. Jacqui Frair).''

Joares May and Fernando Tortato carrying the beast.

Joares May, Peter Crawshaw and Alison Devlin checking the jaguar's canines.

As additional information Dr. Crawshaw also mentions answering a few comments that the male jaguar was estimated to be 8 years old due to the yellowish of his teeth and he weighed 105 kg, 7 kg more than when he was first captured. A few months after his first capture the component of his GPS had been taken/ripped off as Crawshaw stated it was possibly due to fights.

Alison Devlin and Peter Crawshaw collecting the male jaguar Peter Schmidt's datas.

Its also worth noting that after receiving many congratulations from people and friends He mentions that ''who deserves the credits of these captures is the new generation of biologists with their hard flawless work on the project and he has only been accompaning their work that now its theirs the hard task and responsability to protect not only the jaguars but the nature in general during times that the future of conservation is even more uncertain in the face of the omni-present challenge of more and more people in the world and, as a rule, governments that still think we can live without natural resources. Each one of us must do our part and believe, be optimistic - it's this, or this... The worst is unthinkable.''

Great words.

Capture of Teo (Adriano) male at Fazenda São Bento - North Pantanal

Year: 2012

Campaign to capture jaguar in North Pantanal - October 2012.

photo from the Left to Right ( Peter Crawshaw, Joares May, Rafael Hoogesteijn, Fernando Tortato, Rafael's Daughter (correct me if I am wrong) and Alison Devlin )

photo credits: Rafael's wife Mirtha Carpio

The Capture of Teo.

October 2012

Peter Crawshaw

''Teo, the newest male jaguar with collar in Fazenda São Bento, captured last night, weighing 130 kg.''

According to Joares May they were after him for 5 days.

Teo's capture photo - From left to right ( Joares May, Alison Devlin and Peter Crawshaw )

Photo taken by Fernando Tortato

Capture of Ísis female or Teo's girfriend as Dr. Crawshaw stated.

Here's what Crawshaw said about ísis capture as well as the mention of Teo male.

Year: 2012

Peter Crawshaw

''And didn't we happened to capture Teo's girlfriend tonight? The two were together and we almost had to anesthetize the big guy (Teo) again. But Joares was calm and ''cold-blooded'', he anesthetized the female and we took her to work calmly away from the male. In the end, everything ended well, the campaign was extremely productive: one collar removed and a resident couple mating pair who were previously without collars and now monitored. And as an observation which shows that the collar really does not interfere in the behavior of the animals: in less than 24 hours after she had been anesthetized and received the collar, Teo was already reunited with the female again.''

ísis female capture photo - From left to right ( Fernando Tortato, Peter Crawshaw, Alison Devlin and Joares May )

ísis waking up from sedation

Peter Crawshaw

https://www.facebook.com/peter.crawshaw/...5072385718

''Isis, in full recovery from the anesthesia, already dawning the day of a new life contributing to the conservation of the species in the Pantanal. And if all goes well, sometime in January, we will be watching - from afar, without interfering - her caring of a new offspring!''

Here is the footage registered by a TV team in Porto Jofre of Teo and ísis seeng together mating, both collared.

This particular jaguar bellow he told me a while ago on our private conversation that he was an old male he captured at the Santa Tereza farm, in Baía Vermelha, on the banks of the Paraguay River, in February 2007.

Gediendson

Year: 2013

''Third Female Captured at Faz. São Bento! Its a Dream come true capturing a jaguar with Dr. Peter Crawshaw Jr.''

Peter Crawshaw and Atlantic Forest female Jaguar in the 90's at Iguaçú Parque - South Brazil.

She might likely be the ''troublemaker'' CG female.

Lastly he was finishing writing his book and in December last year he finished the last chapter of the creative write and there was only one chapter left to be finished, I'm not sure if he really did finished it but I'll keep an eye to see any news if the book gets published so you all stay tuned about his book.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 04-26-2021, 06:44 PM