There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 01:43 AM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar do you mind sharing the source for the 110 kg Chaco male you speak of? The one on my table I'm pretty sure is the one on the picture, that male was captured alongside 4 females and 5 cougars as part of the study Evaluación de la conectividad ecológica en el noroeste de Paraguay: yaguareté y puma como modelos, however, the weights were not publicized in that study so the weight information was given to me by Jeffrey:

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Argentinian male Qaramta I believe is heavier now, when he was captured his ribs were showing which was an indication of poor health at the time. The camera traps of him and Tania showed him much more stocky and healthy, it'll be interesting to see how much he weighs next time they capture him.

I believe the jaguars from Kaa Iya National Park in Bolivia will yield similar values to the ones on the table, my guess is adult males there weigh between 80-120 kg, this is solely based on indications from people who have seen those jaguars and say they are somewhat smaller than those form the Pantanal. On the other side, those from San Miguelito appear heavier and larger to me, Panthera estimated the weight for Zeus as 130 kg once, and Aries as I've said before was estimated as 120-130 kg by the people in charge of monitoring them there, unfortunately, both poached.

We will need more data to get a clearer picture but what is clear is that jaguars from the Chaco are up there in terms of size.

As it pertains to those from the Atlantic Forest, I've always thought they had the potential to go above 100 kg in weight, as data shows the prey biomass they consume in places like Iguazu is extremely low, with animals like agouti being their main prey. And yet males there are able to surpass 70 kg in weight, which tells you a lot about their size potential. Also, those jaguars from the Argentinian side like Arariti and Sixto (form Yungas) have already been estimated by Redyaguarete to weigh close to or over 100 kg, they're very stocky and compact but full of muscles.

According to a study by Calvacanti the hogs and boars that have colonized the Atlantic forest are larger than those from the Pantanal and thus predation on them by jaguars is low. I wonder if the reason why predation on them is low was due to the alien nature of them as a relatively recent prey because I've also read reports that the expansion of hogs through the Atlantic Forest is making jaguars colonized areas where they went extinct. Therefore I believe more data is needed in this regard to reach a conclusion concerning hog-jaguar relations in this area.
2 users Like Balam's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Balam - 01-27-2021, 04:37 AM