There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-01-2020, 03:08 AM by Dark Jaguar )

UPDATED MEASUREMENTS OF 3 OF THE PORTO PRIMAVERA JAGUARS CAPTURED BY THE MASTER PETER CRAWSHAW.

@peter

As you requested on your post #403 for the other measurements of the 3 Porto Primavera jaguars in order to compare them with other big cats I managed to ask Peter Crawshaw more measurements of those 3 animals but Crawshaw told me that he didn't take the forearm measurements of those Porto Primavera jaguars.

But he provided me others.

NOTE: Before getting to the measurements there's a clarification to make.

Pita was captured twice and he's also that 122 kg Porto Primavera male Jaguar that aired on TV news in 1994 that I've posted here on this thread and in the Big Cat news thread, before I found out I showed the photo and the news video to Peter Crawshaw himself and he told me that male is Pita, then he checked his original archive and it was on his first capture, Crawshaw didn't even know that his capture of the male jaguar aired on TV here in Brazil in the 90's. Pita's second capture weighed 130 kg captured with Denis Sana and Antonio Platero.

Pita male.

*This image is copyright of its original author

News video of Pita males first capture by Peter Crawshaw and his team that aired here in Brazil in 1994.

With that being said lets head to the measurements method used by Crawshaw.

MEASUREMENTS METHOD

Straight Line, never following the curves of the body.

Body length: from the tip of the nostril untill the base of the tail

Tail length: measured separately.

PETER CRAWSHAW TALKS ABOUT THE OVER THE CURVES MEASUREMENT METHOD.

I already had a previous discussion with him on the jaguar measurement method I once again brought up the topic but this time I mentioned that most of people take the over the curves measure method like onçafari and others.

Here's what he told me about this method.

By Crawshaw's word: ''As I said before, you don't use measuring an animal "over the curves",  that's totally wrong. In this way, the person is deliberately increasing the size of the animal.''

CHEST CIRCUMFERENCE MEASUREMENT METHOD.

As this was also one of @peter requests on his post #403 I took advantage and managed to ask Peter Crashaw this one too.

My question was in case the animal is too large and heavy does he take the chest circumference measure by taking one side measurement of the chest and multiply it by 2 ??

Here's what he said.

by Crawshaw's words: ''No, you have to lift the body of the animal ( even if a large one ) and pass the tape measure under it in order to get the complete measurement.''

3 PORTO PRIMAVERA JAGUAR'S MEASUREMENTS.

NOTE: After he checked his original archive he told me Pita male's measurements bellow was from his first capture when he weighed 122 kg, keep in mind his second capture he weighed 130 kg.

Measurement method: Straight Line.

1 - Suely female 77 kg :

Head girth 62.0 cm.

Neck girth 53.5 cm.

Thorax girth 96 cm.

Shoulder height 78.0 cm.

Body length 129.0 cm.

Tail length 61 cm.

Full Body length 190 cm.

2 - Zezão melanistic male 110 kg :

Head girth 70.5 cm.

Neck girth 58.5 cm.

Thorax girth 99 cm.

Shoulder height 80.0 cm.

Body length 143.0 cm.

Tail length 67 cm.

Full Body length 210 cm.

3 - Pita male 122 kg :

Head girth 71.0 cm.

Neck girth 70.0 cm.

Thorax girth 114 cm.

Shoulder height 70.0 cm.

Body length 151.0 cm.

Tail length 56 cm.

Full Body length 207 cm.

Moment Crawshaw sent me the Head and Neck girth of the 3.

Comparisons:

Just like I told to Crawshaw when I saw Pita neck's girth its impressive how these animals vary on the measurements department while some might be thicker and greater in one area others could be thicker and greater on other areas of the body like in this case Pita being thicker than Joker on the neck girth.

It seems like I got a new record breaker on the jaguar's neck girth department on my books so far.

Pita got a whooping 70.0 cm on neck girth.

Pita male's neck is 4 cm thicker than Joker's 66 cm neck and Pita's neck surpasses even Almeida's largest neck girth male measurement of 68.5 cm.

Pita is also very low on the shoulders compared to 110 kg melanistic male Zezão and 77 kg female Suely, he is 10 cm lower on the shoulders compared to Zezão.

By his measurements and by what Crawshaw told me about Pita, I can say Pita was definitely a low to the ground stocky beast. A true representative of the jaguar species.

Peter Crawshaw and Pita male in 1994.

7 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 11-01-2020, 03:06 AM