There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 02:38 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Rei Caatinga male 51 kg

*This image is copyright of its original author

his name ''Rei'' means King in portuguese because he is the King of Sertão. Cool

He is the largest Caatinga male I've seen so far.

Here's what Amigos da Onça Program and Pró-Carnívoros say about him.

''Rei was the first jaguar captured (in 2017) and monitored by radio-collar by our program. Its name symbolizes the "King of the Hinterland ( Sertão )". And it goes with it, doesn't it?

He was monitored for a year and a half in the region of the Boqueirão da Onça National Park, in Bahia. Currently, he is without his necklace but he has been recorded in our photographic traps (as in the first image bellow in October 2019) and through tracks as shown in the second image.

Studies like this are necessary to better understand how caatinga jaguars live and interact. Our jaguars are strong as our beloved  Caatinga, their survival is directly related to the success of all biodiversity in this biome.

The capture activities are linked to the "Programa de Monitoramento das onças-pardas e onças-pintadas" under the responsibility of ENEL Green Power do Brasil.

- The research was duly authorized by the responsible environmental agencies and the collar used on Rei has a weight compatible with the animal's biomass! ''

Rei caatinga male spotted by camera trap.

Rei male's Pugmark. Now we finally got the first measurement of a Caatinga Jaguar's Pugmark.

Jorge and Rei male.

NOTE: Rei male was captured twice, the one I posted above was from his first capture in 2017, I am not sure how much he weighed on his second one which I'd assume would be this one bellow with Gediendson and the Pró-Carnívoros biologist.

Now without mentioning the females we got about 4 Caatinga male jags, all adults. Rei 51 kg, Lampião 41 kg, unknown male 37 kg, unknown male 41 kg.

Now I wanna see the capture of Caatinga jaguars from Parque Nacional Serra da Capivara which got the highest density of melanism and hopefully the capture of the dark male I estimate to be 45 kg.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 08-15-2020, 02:28 AM