There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2020, 01:25 PM by Dark Jaguar )

When the jaguars achieve that weight we gotta also see how often this happens for example lets say there's a 160kg+ male verified in pantanal, is he the only one or would there be more on that size? its about prey abundance and competition ( in this case with men too in order to get the large prey the cattle ) but preys in abundance such as caimans that are doing pretty good today in numbers are also really important and plays a major role for modern pantanal jaguars attain the size they got specially up north.

I would be very glad if I see a MODERN 160kg+ in Pantanal or Llanos male but at same time I will ask myself how often is it because one thing I know for certain is that it is normal on modern jaguars for Pantanal males to reach 130kg and Cerrado males to reach 110kg, that is something I am sure of. Its something that 40 years ago would happen very occasionally ( many verified and confirmed ones like today ) but not today. But for those tremendous size there has to be good variety of genes as well as alot of prey base and which some of it specially pecaries are still illegally poached.

With that being said, if there was massive jaguars not too long ago, yes I think modern jaguars with a very good prey base specially large ones can attain massive sizes like that but human's interuptions may not let that happen and jaguars gotta adapt to what they have today.

@"OncaAtrox" That man-eater jag is a beast.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM