There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2020, 03:06 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Another Caatinga Jaguar 

https://g1.globo.com/ba/bahia/noticia/20...ideo.ghtml

Luíza Caatinga female was in terrible conditions, she was stuck/trapped in a blocked cave for 22 days without food and water and after the rescue thanks to the Programa Amigos da Onça she regained weight which I posted with her story in full details in the Jaguars of Brazil thread.

*This image is copyright of its original author

''When she was rescued on May 3rd 2019, the jaguar that is 58 centimeters in height and 1 meter long, she was very weak, dehydrated and malnourished weighing only 35kg.

After the treatment the feline returned to her natural habitat with 46kg. she was given a monitoring collar and is accompanied by the members of the project through satellite.''

Luíza caatinga female already with 46kg and ready to return back to the wild Caatinga.

''The jaguars of the Caatinga are naturally smaller than those of other biomes as a result of an evolutionary adaptation to the vegetation and climate of the region (being smaller they need less food, less water, spend less energy and regulate the body temperature more easily).'' " They are smaller but not less strong " warns Cláudia biologist of the project. "They have an incredible surprising strength."

Despite small these beasts are incredibly powerful.

I think the Caatinga females might overlap with Caatinga males in some cases, So I am not gonna count the 46kg. 11kg weight gain cause she was treated by the Amigos da Onça project to recover her conditions.

So if Luísa caatinga female when she was malnushered, weak and dehydrated weighed 35kg, I think a healthy Luíza (on natural wild conditions) can mostly overlap with caatinga males but maybe other females might be fairly smaller than Luíza (or not). without mentioning the Caatinga Pumas that a few are similar ( some are even larger ) in sizes.

Regardless of what the truth is, its an amazing story of rescue and I hope Luíza is doing good in the wilderness of Caatinga and I know she's in good hands cause Programa Amigos da Onça is monitoring her steps.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Dark Jaguar - 05-22-2020, 02:47 AM