There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 12:20 AM by Pckts )

@TheNormalGuy 
I noticed your discussing Jag size with @chui_ 
 His knowledge of jaguar weights came from a single book and even his claims from that book were off but not until I purchased the book was I able to prove it, which is a downfall posting scans only because much data is missing and people jump to conclusions.
It also led me to post inaccurate info as well but was corrected starting on post #46 I believe.  
Just look at his latest response, asked by @Luipaard if 110kg would be a standard average, he uses one Jaguar "Brutus" who's weight was 115kg then estimated to be 130kg * By the same Program mind you* as some sort of evidence of what exactly?
You can use Almeida's own words, Almeida specifically states that jaguars put on quite a bit of mass well past the age of 4

*This image is copyright of its original author

We have numerous weights here and the ones listed when averaged with Almeida's have shown an average weight of around 110kg.
But these averages are meaningless, a Big Male Jaguar in the Pantanal is going to be 130kg+ even larger in the North I believe.
A smaller male is going to be 100kg and a good sized male will be in the 110kg+ mark.
The idea of coming to an average for these cats really serves no purpose IMO other than the idea of trying to set up a "V.S." debate.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

@Nyers 
The 158kg weight is undetermined but I'd hold off on using it as fact although Paulo does say that is what he was told. But Fernando Tortatto told me Adriano was 130kg and Paulo told me there are a few in the North that are much larger than Adriano so I'd guess his weight isn't 158kg.
The Largest weight proven is the 142kg Jaguar that was pretty much empty.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Pckts - 03-17-2020, 10:26 PM