There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM by Pckts )

Quote:SCI probably does have the largest database of measurements on leopard skulls but the fact they aren’t all reliable makes it pretty useless. You have to look at each record independently and try to corroborate it with other info. Sort of defeats the purpose of the record book. 
Your personal opinion is that they aren't reliable but according to their requirements they seem to be reliable. Judging scale of a cat is tricky especially when all who pose do their best to exaggerate size. 

Quote:I don't think the SCI records are wide spanning or representative of all of Africa.
Africa is a gigantic place, of course there are plenty of areas which little is known about cat size but still Leopards from S, E. and C. Africa have all been hunted and recorded.

Quote:You’d think this would help the wildlife populations but in most cases the lack of trophy hunting in these unstable countries results in more uncontrolled illegal poaching taking over. 
Until demand is halted, poaching will always be a problem. Not only must trophy hunting be curbed but all hunting. Examples of this are seen in India and especially the Pantanal. 
But hunting and poaching are minimal threats nowadays, deforestation is the main culprit and I see no end to that unfortunately.

@Luipaard
Quote:You seem to focus too much on that number; 90kg/200 pounds when it comes to leopards. In reality, there is no such thing as a maximum weight
I have said to you numerous times that I'm sure there are Leopards 100kg+ 
Just like I'm sure their are Jaguars 160kg+ and Lions and  Tigers 280kg+

Quote:while there are males who literally look lion sized. So many guides have seen leopards which they found to look like a lioness
No Leopard is close to Lion size from what I've seen, there are some that are close to very small Lion weights but Lions and Tigers are far taller and longer. I've seen Choti Tara who's an 85kg Tigress and she is much taller than any Leopard I've seen and longer in body, she is also much thicker and she's very small for a Tigress. 
Just look at the Anderson male, said to have lion sized pug marks and he was completely outsized by the Lioness. 
I'd imagine a 90kg Leopard is still going to be smaller than a 90kg Lioness in terms of frame.

Quote:The 90kg maximum is also false since a male from Namibia weighed 96kg. Then there's the notorious Vin Diesel male leopard who was claimed to have weighed 97kg
There is no confirmation for Vin Diesel's weight so that claim is not useful.

90kg is a fairly consistent number, all Leopards caught haven't really exceeded that mark minus a handful throughout history and not by much. But ofcourse there will be some who will weigh more than that, the scientific and hunting community has captured very few wild cats compared to their population in the wild. But in regards to verified weights, 90kg is a fair maximum for Leopards at this time.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Pckts - 09-04-2019, 07:48 PM