There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

Spain JUJOMORE Offline

Totally agree, any leopard that reaches a shoulder height of 70 cm is a big leopard, but if the figures of the Guggisberg leopard and the one hunted by M. Bowman were true, that would be the height they would have. Height is not something subjective, it is related to head/body length and total length.

I believe that the Guggisberg figures are not verifiable, we do not know what their source was, at least I do not know, and it is even probable that they were taken on the skin, the fact that the length of the tail and the weight are not concordant gives rise to to think that.

As for the data of Marrs Bowman, it would also be difficult to confirm them, it turns out that she died in 2020 at the age of 41. The original photo that was on Facebook and the one on the hunting website are no longer  available.

I propose another comparison, this time with animals not so exceptional. T.N.Bailey, in his book "The African leopard", in the Kruger,  made a series of measurements on leopards of different ages and sex, the average of 5 old males gave a head and body length of 1.41 m, a total length of 2.19 and a weight of 63.1 kg among other measures. As for the height on the shoulders, I suppose he made it taking the total length of the leg extended to the ends of the finger, reason why it would have to subtract between 6 and 10 cm to the length to get the actual height.

*This image is copyright of its original author

We have a photo, published also in this forum,  of a leopard hunted in Zambia in 2004, number 1 in the ranking of that country, we know that it measured more than 8 feet ( 2.44 m), the skull measured 17 inches and the weight, although I could not contrast it would be close to 90 Kg.

This time the chosen model is a leopard photographed in Londolozi.

1 user Likes JUJOMORE's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - JUJOMORE - 09-08-2022, 12:13 AM