There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(02-11-2021, 10:40 PM)Luipaard Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 09:21 PM)Balam Wrote: The average given in post #169 doesn't give us a range or a sample size to deduct its accuracy, also that average was given in a social media comment, and as I remember correctly the same people using that as an average for a leopard population are the same ones trying to delegitimize weights provided by biologists and scientific organizations for other felids through social media means when it suits them.

His comment was in response to someone else and does not originate from social media but from the offical Northern Tuli Predator Project website.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Quote:Many of us here take social media comments or post seriously only when they come from an official account from a reputable entity.

You realise that Andrei Snyman is a researcher and collared the leopards himself right? How is he not 'a reputable entity'? Just because we lack the sample size doesn't mean the data is unreliable.

Reading comprehension is essential, he posted on a public platform where others have the option to engage with each other (i.e. a social media). I know exactly who he is and thus my point stands, after all, it was you and your crew who tried their hardest to undermine the opinions of different biologists and experts who tracked and weighed jaguars when it was posted on social media because you can't seem to let go of the idea that jaguars are bigger than what you wish them to be, so you have two options:

1. Either accept all the claims made by social media by reputable entities or,
2. Dismiss his claims altogether since it doesn't come from any publicized paper and it too was shared of a public forum.

Furthermore, since there is no sample size we cannot deduct that the average is accurate for that leopard population because small sample sizes can yield high averages when only heavy specimens are included, such as the case for cougars in Torres del Paine who averaged 76 kg with a sample size of 4 animals, but I'm sure you won't dispute that would you?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Balam - 02-11-2021, 10:51 PM