There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-29-2020, 01:01 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 11:47 PM)Luipaard Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 10:28 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 07:07 PM)Luipaard Wrote: @Styx38 

Quote: A Kenyan leopard shot with a 260 mm long skull, and weighed 78 kg:

I made a list of all the skulls that originated from Kenya. They are from the 16th Edition Rowland Wards, 1976. Full list can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/qgk9fsh

*This image is copyright of its original author

The leopard's skull you posted, would be ranked lowest overall (15.75"). They're too from hunting records so choose for yourself if you find them plausible.

If its weight of 78kg is reliable, this should mean that the leopards listed above should be in the 75kg-95kg weight range. PH Hamilton gave a weight range of 60kg-95kg for leopards in the mountainous regions of Kenya. From his paper, 'The Leopard and Cheetah in Kenya':

The largest on that list with a score of 18.75'' would rank #10 on the SCI list.

There are higher ones in the list though. I just included Kenyan skulls only for comparison.

By the way, I think the 18.38" (276,23 mm x 190,50 mm) skull belongs to this 204lbs Kenyan leopard:

None higher than the 18.75 score on the list posted outside of the Persian/Congo Basin Skulls.
Which also wouldn't crack the top 10.

In regards to weights correlated with skulls...
The Kenyan Leopard is very large, I'd like to see more on the reliability of the weight claimed though but I doubt it exists.
We do have weights associated with Persian Skulls, with 91kg being the largest but again we don't know which skull contributed to which weight. Their average is the 70kg range. 

We do have a weight for this guy 

"The score ended up to be 18 4/16(dry), the body was not that long(7.2 feet), he weighed 185 pounds. Length and weight are irrelevant, because if he had a full stomach, he would have weighed over 200 pounds. Something very interesting I thought, was that his tail had a circumference at the base of 10 inches."

https://www.kalahari-trophy-hunting.com/...ws-11.html

So the 92kg Kenyan Leopard seems reasonable as well.

Adding on to this, here is a large 240cm or 7'8'' Persian said to be at least 70kg

240 cm long .. this magnificent chap when we first captured him in Sep 2014 to collar ..
My Journey with Persian Leopardsat least 70 kg
My Journey with Persian LeopardsTail and body

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - Pckts - 09-29-2020, 03:17 AM