There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-15-2022, 01:54 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 10:13 PM)Pckts Wrote: Sankhala, Brander and Hicks all specify their poor smell and I actually believe Schaller did as well.

You believe incorrectly, check what Dr Schaller says about tiger smell:

*This image is copyright of its original author

I think that Tom Brakefield summarize it very well, for all the cats in general:

So, there is no such thing as "bad smell sense" at all, it is just that they use it with other purposes. But definitelly any wild cat has much better sense of smell than any human.

Quote:You believe incorrectly, check what Dr Schaller says about tiger smell:
He literally states numerous people who've determined it's sense of smell to be poor. The problem is that you're changing the debate IMO. Tigers can absolute sense when a female is in heat or the urine samples of others hence why they have the jacobson organ but they do not use their sense of smell to hunt nor to avoid dangerous situations which in turn means that it's not their primary sense used to stay alive. 
Quote:Tom Brakefield summarize it very well, for all the cats in general:
He states the same, cats don't rely on their sense of smell the way dogs do or any animal does that uses it to hunt. On top of that he's generalizing not speaking on specific species. I stated that Tigers have a poor sense of smell which by comparison to their other senses, they do. My "guess" is that they could have a poorer sense than Lions in comparison due to their smaller nasal cavity. With two cats being so close in size a larger nasal cavity will allow both oxygen and smells to enter in a larger rate and since there's no real lung capacity differences that I'm aware of, I'd think more scent particles allows better analysis.  

Now here's exactly what Brander said and experiments he did to test it

And after reading all others you posted I don't feel the need to continue to search to find Hicks and Sankhala since they all are saying the same thing.

Quote:Like I said the beggining of all this, tigers like any other cat, had good sence of smell, no better than  a dog, but good enough. Also, they use it mostly for communication purposes, and only rarely for hunting, but that doesn't meant that its bad, as it may be 30 times better than ours, like this source (Seidensticker and Lumpkin) suggest with the lions:
No one is saying a Tiger doesn't communicate through Smell, but they don't use it to hunt or avoid danger. In that regard it is poor and that is what is said by all of these hunters and researchers alike. You can be a foot away from a Tiger and it'll walk right past you, it doesn't matter if it's up or downwind, they don't rely on it. If you stand a foot away from a tiger or break a leaf, they'll see or hear you instantly and pounce.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - Pantherinae - 03-24-2022, 01:42 AM
about the tiger - Tiger898 - 06-02-2022, 03:20 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 07-24-2022, 12:19 AM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-29-2022, 11:13 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 09-01-2022, 12:11 AM
RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 10-15-2022, 11:42 PM
RE: The Sunderban Tiger - Rishi - 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Roflcopters - 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 06:35 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM