There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-15-2022, 01:16 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(10-15-2022, 12:29 AM)Pckts Wrote: 1 off observations isn’t at play here. In fact, the hunters mentioned have far more experience than any researcher you’ve named. Their observations and experience are second to none. 
Comparing someone like Thapar to brander isn’t even in the same realm. You’re talking about real hands on experience vs limited observations. Even some modern day naturalists have more experience than him.
I’ll post actually quotes when I have access.

Sorry, but there is no debate here. You are putting hunters with no idea about real ecology and biology about animals over real Biologist and experts that actually study an animal beyond any bias with real evidence, is simply stupid. And by the way, where I compare Thapat with Brander???

The observations of a hunter are random sights with no real analisys, except the fact that they use this information to kill the animal, that is all. If you think that Brander is over Thapar is up to you and your own perspective, but no scientist is going to take your opinion seriosly if you tell them this, that is for sure. In fact, there is no point in defending Thapar, as people like Sunquist and Karanth already described him as on of the top experts in tigers in history. About Brander, well it as a good observer and hunter, but....that is all. Silly comparison dude, honestly.

So, at the end of this, this conversation do not make sense, and I know of you likeness to debate things that do not make sense. So I will leave this here as there is no point to argue with someone that do not even tried to understand what I try to explain in my previous post (qualitative vs quantitative) and that his only argument is compare a hunters guesses against top biologists/tiger experts.

You're right, there is no debate. The hunters mentioned are far more experienced and valid. In fact like I've already stated, they've gone on to be the ones to hire said biologists to work under them. A biologist/zoologist reads books about these people, some get field work and even less actually maintain field work throughout their careers. In comparison, Brander, Almeida and Hicks spent their entire lives in the field. 
The idea that a so called "expert" isn't bias holds as much water as claiming the Hunters mentioned were bias. Evidence is an umbrella term, there are many different kinds of it and the Hunters mentioned by far have the best 1st hand versions of it. 
For instance lets look at prey studies.
When prey preferences are calculated, they usually use scat samples. A technique that is specifically notated to be bias towards smaller animals. All experts will and have stated such. So these "experts" travel a limited area for a year or two and gather scat when they can. From this limited data they have to then extrapolate these small samples to try and encompass an entire species. While Hicks, Brander, Sankhala, Almeida and so on have witnessed first hand predations and seen 100s of more carcasses from way more locations. 

Quote:So, at the end of this, this conversation do not make sense, and I know of you likeness to debate things that do not make sense. So I will leave this here as there is no point to argue with someone that do not even tried to understand what I try to explain in my previous post (qualitative vs quantitative) and that his only argument is compare a hunters guesses against top biologists/tiger experts.
You like to point fingers but not to look in the mirror. You're the one not trying to understand, instead you get defensive because you prefer a documented scientific method as oppose to real experts who didn't worry about being published at the time and instead gained their expertise through real life experience. It's why now they are the ones who are being quoted in these papers, not the other way around. 

Quote:(qualitative vs quantitative) and that his only argument is compare a hunters guesses against top biologists/tiger experts.
Feel free to stack up their resumes.
Pick any biologist/tiger expert today, compare their experience to Brander, Hicks, Almeida or Sankhala etc. They will fall short by a significant amount. This is why Schaller specifically asked to work with Sankhala to help and advise him, and of course Sankhala is one of the ones mentioning the poor sense of smell for Tigers.

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - Pantherinae - 03-24-2022, 01:42 AM
about the tiger - Tiger898 - 06-02-2022, 03:20 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 07-24-2022, 12:19 AM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-29-2022, 11:13 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 09-01-2022, 12:11 AM
RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Pckts - 10-15-2022, 10:48 PM
RE: The Sunderban Tiger - Rishi - 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Roflcopters - 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 06:35 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM