There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

abhisingh7 Offline

(10-09-2022, 05:23 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 03:47 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: @Pckts 

Quote:In regards to Tadoba having smaller Tigers there’s no debate. This is factual, you have multiple researchers and hunters discussing this, guides who’ve seen both and modern day weights and measurements. Wagdoh is a big cat, no doubt and Tigers can get big no matter the location but it’s not with the same frequency nor the same body composition. And it’s not just the males but the females as well, Tadoba females are notoriously small, especially compared to their Sal Forest cousins.

I think Tadoba has a large variation of big cats in all sizes, some of the females are small while some are large sized. same with males. a lot of it has to do with traffic and corridors. prey density is really good in some areas while certain parts of buffer areas lack behind in overall prey numbers. i think generalizing how a tiger appears based on food availability is subjective. genetics play a big part in a tiger’s overall appearance, rest of the argument depends on a tiger’s ability to hunt and sourcing their food options. generally speaking Kanha should have bigger tigers based on environmental factor but i’d be willing to bet that Shiva, Wagdoh, Bajrang, Khali, Kitadi male/Coal mine male, Mowgli, Dadiyal, V7 and Narasimha and countless others could top most Kanha tigers. judging a whole population based on 185kg battle season Gabbar, 197kg sick male, 270kg Wagdoh and 85k Choti Tara isn’t even a real sample size considering Tadoba’s overall population. if anything, Wagdoh’s post mortem report makes me think otherwise. I could’ve been misjudging their sizes all this time and I’m sure few others feel the same way. less than 2 year old Chota Matka weighed 162kg and his brother Tarachand (now deceased) weighed 173kg. CM is probably walking around 200kg+ at 6 years of age with the second biggest territory after Bajrang. 

Quote:It’s pretty simple, Cooler temps, more rain and hilly terrain will produce larger cats assuming all prey density is equal. More prey and / or larger prey will add into that. This is why I think it’s safe to assume Kaziranga Tigers should be the largest alive today.

genetics play a much bigger role than anything you mentioned. Kaziranga tigers are all just opinion of people and nothing more. concrete evidence must be provided for all these baseless claims of Kaziranga having the biggest tigers. also last time i checked, Dudhwa has very dense forests. perfect for hunting so they are definitely not lacking behind by much and Siddharth Singh once told me that old thunder male also known as Ring Road male or Kishanpur male was the biggest tiger he ever saw in India. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

I don’t see much difference between all the ruling males of Dudhwa and Kaziranga in the present day. 

Charger
Old thunder male
Bhavani male
Bankati male
Sathiana male 
New thunder male
Sathiana male x2

vs 

KZT023
Kazi 14
Kazi 59
KZT085
Burapahar male
headshot male
Kazi 54

can you really say the Kaziranga tigers mentioned above stand out? Dudhwa’s top 7 are easily topping Kaziranga’s top 7 imo.

young male from Kaziranga

vs

Charger

how are people seeing things differently still? where are these big skulls from Kaziranga that Dudhwa can’t top.

Wagdohs weight aside which hasn’t been verified. The person involved is unnamed as well as the protocol used or if he was even weighed during the Post mortem which would be done by cutting him to pieces according to the protocols shown or on weighing on site. But regardless, no other Tiger from Tadoba has surpassed 200kg meanwhile Tigers in Kanha surpass 225kg at sub adult ages and the largest weight on record comes from Kanha as well. 
You mentioned Gabbar at 185kg and we have seen him fighting Saturn and Katezari, all three are similar sized while you have MV2 at 195kgs fighting Umarpani and he’s completely dwarfed. That’s a big difference. And as we’ve seen, Umarpani is a huge male but he’s by no means the biggest and he is said to be as large if not larger than Wagdoh while Wagdoh is the undisputed king of Tadoba. It shows the amount of big males that are in Kanha. 

Next is Terai (Dudhwa in particular) v Kaziranga
Aside from the major difference of the amount large prey available in Kaziranga and not so in Dudhwa we have weights and measurements from Terai and Assam. Both are similar but Kaziranga is a unique habitat much like the Crater. There’s absolutely no reason any Tiger should outsize them.
What Tiger habitat is better suited to produce large cats?
And last is the eye witnesses, while few, there are some with good resumes and they say the same, Kaziranga Tigers are larger than their Terai counterparts. But like all places Tigers inhabit, you’ll have overlap. It’s just the amount of big Tigers that are there. 

So in closing, Kanha is larger than Tadoba, cooler than Tadoba and has more tigers than Tadoba with better prey density. I don’t see why Tadoba would have as large of cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MsNA8GofLA wagdoh may have had 20-25 kg of content in his 270kg weight . his stomach does look here having content in it . in his prime wagdoh was a beast 270-280kg empty male . that could be the case i guess .

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - Pantherinae - 03-24-2022, 01:42 AM
about the tiger - Tiger898 - 06-02-2022, 03:20 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 07-24-2022, 12:19 AM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-29-2022, 11:13 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 09-01-2022, 12:11 AM
RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - abhisingh7 - 10-09-2022, 11:40 AM
RE: The Sunderban Tiger - Rishi - 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Roflcopters - 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 06:35 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM