There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 01:29 AM by Roflcopters )

(08-30-2022, 11:50 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(08-30-2022, 10:38 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: I wasn’t talking about shoulder height, i was talking about a tiger’s ability to stand-up right without having to tilt his head down in discomfort. as it’s often the case with the squeeze cages. hence the name of the cage. 

Quote:My guess in regards to size, no Tiger is going to outweigh the Kaziranga Cats overall.  Body dimension is very hard to determine but at least when looking at their Skulls, they do seem to possess the largest Skulls of any Tiger population I've seen and generally speaking a Large skull belongs to a big cat. Obviously not the only correlation but still a good one.

that’s subjective, Terai tigers have always been the biggest tigers. even the biggest tiger on record is from Terai. biggest tiger weighed in recent time is also from Terai. for years, we talked about Kaziranga tigers with nothing to work with, it was purely just speculation at best. the weights from Dudhwa seems to suggest otherwise.

if i remember correctly, Kaziranga had a female that was weighed on a Salter Brecknell 235 series hanging scale with a capacity of 300kg or 660lbs but her weight was never advertised. the Kaziranga male of 250kg was unknown to me, in fact. i recently saw it circulating around the internet. the tiger in question has some bizzare dimensions, a massive animal for sure. i’m not ruling Kaziranga out but the fact that they have the biggest skulls and everything isn’t facts. it’s all an opinion. we have underestimated Terai tigers for a good number of years. I can’t deny their existence. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Dr.Raghunandan Chundawat having a dicussion on Kauva Ghatia’s picture with Vibhav Srivastava

*This image is copyright of its original author

Dr.Raghunandan Chundawat worked with some of the biggest known males from Central India (Hairyfoot, Madla & Brokentooth) so a statement like this from him holds a lot of weight. on the other hand, Valmik Thappar and few others saw their biggest tiger in Kaziranga so i guess it works both ways. 

The biggest Tiger on record was from C. India and that was Branders 600lb *est* monster.
Terai Tigers have been measured and weighed *hewett* and their weights were not outstanding. And in fact if I remember correctly, it was the Assam males who possessed the largest skulls of the studies but none came from Kaziranga.
Large prey=Large skulls
There’s no better Large prey biomass on earth than Kaziranga at this stage for Bengal Tigers.
I’ve already posted someone who’s seen Huge Dudhwa males and Kaziranga Males, he’s said Kaziranga males were larger. This statement was also seconded by Kanwaar who’s also seen tons of Corbett and Kaziranga males and he also said Kaziranga males were larger.
To my knowledge, Chundawat has no experience in Kazaringa and Panna is only one location in C. India and a very small population at that. The Corbett expert was just in Kanha and got to see the Neela Nala male, he said he’s as large as any male he’s seen in Corbett.

Quote:The biggest Tiger on record was from C. India and that was Branders 600lb *est* monster.

biggest tiger on record seems more like a cherry-picking match between each group of tiger fans. everyone has their own accepted standard of what they consider the biggest. Ramsay’s tiger is easily in there, 857lb kumaon beast is in there. 280kg male by Dr.Jhala is another nominee and plenty of other males. this is a never ending debate. 345kg (Old thunder male) tiger by you is also in there. 

Quote:Terai Tigers have been measured and weighed *hewett* and their weights were not outstanding.

hewett’s sample size was limited and the record is now old (1938) there are other things, most of hewett’s tigers were from Corbett and Kumaon district. there’s regional differences everywhere. whether its C India or N India. for example, a Kanha male on average would be bigger than a Tadoba male. same way your average male from Dudhwa is bigger than a Corbett male. environmental factor is another big thing. two different centuries, i don’t really see the comparison. there weren’t any Dudhwa males on his list. 

Quote:And in fact if I remember correctly, it was the Assam males who possessed the largest skulls of the studies but none came from Kaziranga. 
Large prey=Large skulls 
There’s no better Large prey biomass on earth than Kaziranga at this stage for Bengal Tigers.

Agreed, this is undeniable. Kaziranga does have the best prey availability but in the grand scheme of things. big genes are usually carried over for centuries. as evident in the case of Dudhwa. the 250kg male recently caught further proves this. 

Quote:I’ve already posted someone who’s seen Huge Dudhwa males and Kaziranga Males, he’s said Kaziranga males were larger. This statement was also seconded by Kanwaar who’s also seen tons of Corbett and Kaziranga males and he also said Kaziranga males were larger.

I have heard vice versa from people that have visited both Kaziranga and Dudhwa so it’s just going to be a lot of going back and forth. none of this is proof. it’s just opinions. frankly speaking. I find Kaziranga tigers bigger than Corbett tigers. i’m also well aware of Kanwar Deep Juneja’s sighting of KZT023, that picture to this very day is very special to me. KZT023 was the epitome of sheer size and power. 

Quote:To my knowledge, Chundawat has no experience in Kazaringa and Panna is only one location in C. India and a very small population at that. The Corbett expert was just in Kanha and got to see the Neela Nala male, he said he’s as large as any male he’s seen in Corbett.

for all we know, he could have seen tigers prior in Terai to even have an opinion on them. he wouldn’t just base his opinion based on a picture alone. he spent a great majority of time in Panna. studied Madla/Julie, Brokentooth and Hairyfoot extensively. seen and witnessed huge pugmarks. he reviewed camera trap visuals, also caught Madla/Julie/Brokentoon on video. to me that’s bigger than any opinion a naturalist holds. he was on the field literally. again everything is pure speculation. that’s why an opinion is solely just an opinion. also i have little doubt that a big male from Kanha could also match a big male from Corbett. i’ve seen the best of both sides over the years. you and i know both know this.

I have seen best of both Dudhwa and Kaziranga over the years and my opinion is firm on Thunder being the biggest male i have seen all of 2022. whether it’s true or not. i will never find out. just my two cents.

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - Pantherinae - 03-24-2022, 01:42 AM
about the tiger - Tiger898 - 06-02-2022, 03:20 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 07-24-2022, 12:19 AM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-29-2022, 11:13 PM
RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - Roflcopters - 08-31-2022, 01:12 AM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 09-01-2022, 12:11 AM
RE: The Sunderban Tiger - Rishi - 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Roflcopters - 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 06:35 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM