There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Caspian Tiger (Panthera tigris virgata)

lfelipe86 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-11-2023, 06:41 PM by lfelipe86 )

(07-11-2023, 04:35 PM)zulfu1903 Wrote: Here is the list of confirmed tiger sightings in Azerbaijan in 19th and 20th century. I used Google translate to convert into English, but seems quite understandable.
Order of what's written: 

year - where - how many - by whom - any other info - reference

1832 Lankaran 1 Menetries E. 15 versts from Lankaran Menetries E. 1832.
1837 Talish zone 1 Hohenacker R.F. A fur coat was donated to St. Petersburg Academy. Hohenacker, 1837.
1844 Goytepe 1 Qafqaz newspaper, joint hunting of Russian border guards and about 200 local people Konstantinov, 1846.
1845 Goytepe 1 Qafqaz newspaper Finding the bodies of a boar and a tiger side by side (they killed each other) Konstantinov, 1846.
1846 Goytepe 1 Qafqaz newspaper A woman who killed a tiger with an ax to protect her husband* Константинов, 1846.
1846 Talysh zone 1 Qafqaz newspaper Bear hunt of a tiger waking up from sleep Konstantinov, 1846.
1846 Vang (Vank) village, Karabakh 1 Qafqaz newspaper The tiger hunted by the villagers after hunting the cow Konstantinov, 1846.
1852 Goytepe 1 Qafqaz newspaper Meeting of a Russian border guard-doctor with a tiger on the road Bobylev, 1859.
April 1866 Lankaran 2 Radde G. Locals offer 6 tiger pelts, including 2 fresh ones caught near "Mineral water" 12 versts west of town. Radde, 1899.
? Bilasuvar 1 Radde G. Tiger skull (donated to the Caucasus Museum) Radde, 1899.
1884 Lankaran 2 Radde G. Tiger seen in winter Radde, 1899.
1896 Talish zone 2 Dinnick N.Y. Russian Lieut. and depicts 2 tiger pelts caught by local hunters. Dinnik, N. Ya., 1914
1897 Goytepe 2 Satunin K.A. Tiger cub Satunin whose mother was hunted, 1906.
February 1899 Goytepe 1 Satunin K.A. Huge male, 5 cubits (350-366 cm) long. Satunin, 1906
1899 Goytepe 1 Satunin K.A. A footprint in the snow the size of a "large bowl" Satunin, 1906
1899 Mughan desert 1 Satunin K.A. Footprint found Satunin, 1906
1932 Goytepe 2 Vereshagin N. K The last Turanian tigers (male and female) hunted in our country. Vereshakin, 1942.

In recent years I collected various information about this ssp. on my blogpsot. Despite it is in Azeri with the google translation feature of browser I believe anyone can understand if they are interested - https://zulfuferecli.wordpress.com/2021/...h%c9%99ng/

Thank you for the ifo and great webpage!! The Radden caspian tiger photo from Lankaran at the Tbilisi museum is amazing!! There are so few images of caspian tigers from the Caucasus online so this one is gold!! 

i´m an optimist, i believe 100% that caspian tigers are still alive somewhere out there like i´ve said on my early posts!! Especially after the Zanzibar leopard rediscovery in 2018!!! If such a small island like Zanzibar can hide leopards for sure such huge places like the middle east and central asia can hide tigers!! 

I´ve been talking to some people especially from Iran and they say that the iranian enviroment department have evidence of tigers in some remote areas!!! in 1974 zoologist Paul Joslin found 17 cm wide footprints in the Alburz mountains and during the mid 2000´s the iranian department found 20, 15cm pugmarks in the Parvar protected area! In the Golestan area there are countless sightings with positive identification as tigers by the witnesses like the ones from the documentary i shared here in the forum!! The problem is that there is no government support for a serious investigation and project regarding the subject!!! 

In Armenia, the region of the Aras valley in the south and southeast are extremely isolated, almost like southeast Turkey where i believe have a population of tigers!! 

Another promising area is the Romit region in Tajikistan!!! I´ve found this video where they talk about wildlife in the area!! They begin talking about the tiger at 6:28 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TvbJrwS8U0&t=439s

I just don´t believe that all those sightings are just misidentifications of leopards!!!! After all many were identified as tigers!! striped cats!!!
2 users Like lfelipe86's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Caspian Tiger (Panthera tigris virgata) - lfelipe86 - 07-11-2023, 06:34 PM
Caspian tiger artwork - Caggis - 10-19-2023, 08:31 PM