There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are White Tigers/Lions Larger than Normal Colored?

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2016, 05:51 AM by peter )

CAPTIVE WHITE LIONS AND TIGERS

Sankhala, Mazak and a host of others concluded white lions and tigers usually were a bit larger than others. The trainers I interviewed agreed. What I saw in facilities confirmed the observations of others. I visited one which had a white male tiger and a white male lion. All big cats they had were weighed every week and I saw both the scales and the charts. I also talked to the vet. The white male tiger was 249 kg., whereas the white male lion was 273 kg. (603 pounds). Both cats were in excellent condition and I saw both from a few feet only. The lion was from Timbavati.

I could continue for some time, but the bottom line is captive white lions and tigers often are large animals. Breeding white lions or tigers, however, is a risky business. I saw many white lions and tigers with too many problems to describe in far away places. The number of Frankensteins far exceeds the number of moviestars.    

WILD WHITE LIONS AND TIGERS

I had a book on Timbavati lions, but had to let it go when I got an offer I couldn't refuse. To the surprise of many, the white male cub was immediately accepted by his peers. The book only covered the first two years of his life, but in this period he did well. I never found anything else on white lions.

In the tiger extinction thread, I posted a scan of a letter from the JBNHS about two white tigresses shot in India. Both were large. I found more in books, but can't get to them at the moment. Will get back to you on that one.
7 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are White Tigers/Lions Larger than Normal Colored? - peter - 10-13-2016, 05:49 AM