There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis)

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 12:48 PM by Wolverine )

(11-04-2018, 11:21 AM)tigerluver Wrote: One issue is that when calculating the range of weights produced by isometry, the range I found was as low as 400 kg to as high a over 500 kg. 

I calculated also very high body weight but using "house-made" methods...  Joking Ha Ha  Let's assume that the radial bone on the photo below belongs to the average African lion with shoulder height of 102 cm and weight 190 kg. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

The radial bone of this lion is 150 mm on the my monitor while the radial bone of the P. fossilis below is 203 mm long. In order to calculate what is the shoulder height of that gigantic cave "lion" on the photo we have make a simple mathematical quiz:
150 mm - 102 cm
203 mm - X

150.X=102.203
X = 102.203/150 = 138,04 cm

So shoulder height of the gigantic cave "lion" on the photo is 138,04 cm!

Now we have to calculate what will be the weight of Panthera cat with shoulder height of 138-140 cm. As long as I know there are 2 formulas for calculation:

a.) if you compare 2 animals with same or similar body structure and one of them is 25% taller its 2 times more massive.
b.) if you compare 2 animals with same or similar body structure and one of them is 2 times taller its 8 times more massive.

So in order to calculate the weight of P.fossilis with 138-140 cm shoulder height we have two optioins:
1.) we have to find out what is the body mass of African lion with shoulder height 111 cm and multiply 2 times its weight
or
2.) we have to find out what is the weight of grown cub of African lion with shoulder height 70 cm and multiply 8 times its weight

Unfourtunately I don't have a data for 111 cm lion so would have to assess a little bit... If 102 cm lion weights 190 kg (according Guate) 111 cm lion I guess will be 60-70 kg heavier, mean around 250-260 kg. 
Now we multiply 2 times and get blood-freezing weight of the 140 cm Panthera fossilis of 500-520 kg...

Maybe you don't believe guys but after the discovery in 2015 in many Russian media appear information that some of the discovered cave "lions" weighted 600 kg... yes, 600 kg. Since such a weight is obviously a bullshit I didn't make efforts to translate such a sources. 
https://sobesednik.ru/obshchestvo/201508...sil-600-kg

But I'll be not surprised if 140 cm Panthera fossilis weighted half ton.
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis) - Wolverine - 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM