There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2018, 12:32 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 09:18 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 04:36 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #185: you put the dogs and the panthera felidae(s) on the same classification level  as the dogs. Why not ? It's clear for me there is not one single specy of what we call dog. You take together a shepherd dog and a terrier dog, nothing happens... The dogs are considered by the scientists as a group called "canis lupus familiaris", this group and the "canis lupus" group forming a part of the canidae(s), I presume...

That's logic !

I tried to explain why it is easy to think, that some big cats species can be thinked as "lion family" or "sister species" if those are from same progenitor and if animals have a lot of common features like general appearance and behaviour. In dogs there are many groups like shepherds, retrievers, terriers etc .etc. while all are stil canis lupus familiaris.

Amongst wild big cats there are less same kind of groups, obviously because humans haven´t been messing up there as with dogs trying to develop some qualities. I think, that panthera is actually quite comparative with canis lupus familiaris, only thing, that with dogs chart is terribly big. But we have there groups, which can be called "shephed families", "retriever families" and so on because so many common features. I don´t see any obstacle to look at some big cats in same way if there are enough common features. It is very much depending about it, that how different people see situation and how much information there is to back up such thinking. 

Some things are more difficult to explain when not able to use own native language here :) I have to admit, that I didn´t quite get what you were saying in your reply to me so I can´t blame others if same kind of problems maybe.

But if someone understood or not, still my main point was, that it is maybe too early for anyone to be too sure if these animals are called also in future lions or something else. I call those lions unless science community gives some better name(s) and give reasoning why. With current knowledge I personally keep it quite possible, that also in future we have these different lions to discuss about. But I can understand, that others might think in different way.

I was agree with you @Shadow . I only tried to draw up an hierarchy between species, subspecies and groups, because I confess I hadn't attached a great importance to these classification problems... And forget to add that among the extant felidae there are also the genus felis (the cats, lynx, puma and so on) and the genus acinonyx ( only one specy the cheetah) at the same level than the "canis lupus familiaris" and "canis lupus" groups among the canidae..

But I didn't criticize at all what you told...
Ok now I understand better what you were saying. And even if you would have been criticizing it would have been just ok. Sometimes (even many times...) it is possible to have some "great idea" in own thoughts and same time not noticing, that missing some relevant issue.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis) - Shadow - 11-03-2018, 01:07 AM