There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-02-2018, 04:00 PM by Shadow )

Here we can see maybe a little bit same, what science community has been arguing latest century :) I am of course interested too in a way, but since science community researching these animals are still working on and there seems to be some open questions, it looks like this could be one endless argue at this point. One can say, that in no way lions and another, that for sure lions and impossible to say who is right today.

Maybe in a few years there are less grey area and who knows.... once it was panthera leo atrox, then panthera atrox.... what is it after 5 years... I don´t know and I don´t believe anyone saying, that "I do" :) That time is in future hopefully, when there are multiple researcher groups coming to same conclusions without contradictions. Maybe that time is soon, but now it still looks like to be so, that too many blind spots and some new research can give surprising new information.

Interesting animals, I still think those as lion species even though not same as African lions. But we have so many different kind of dogs too, maybe that describes how I see lions and these cave lions with current information. I mean we have in dogs for instance shepherds, then retrievers etc. So we could compare in this way, labrador retriever as african lion, golden retriever as cave lion and for instance chesapeake bay retriever as american lion. Tiger then could be some... shepherd, leopard some terrier, whatever. Not the best example, but hopefully opens up how I see it.

I can be wrong, but I haven´t seen here or in research documents (which I have seen so far) any reason to think in some other way yet. Interesting to see different kind of points of views always. But my main point is, that while debating it is good to remember, that no-one here can tell absolute truth in some issue, which is still studied and argued by scientists. Or maybe I have missed some brand new report, feel free to put a link here if there is some conclusive and broadly agreed document about these animals and what they should be considered to be.
3 users Like Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis) - Shadow - 11-02-2018, 01:44 PM