There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your wildlife experience in South Africa

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2016, 03:50 AM by Polar )

LION

There is no Rhino & Lion Game Park without some lions, both white and normal. Though, the ones photographed here are all white lions and lionesses. Most were asleep.

One particular lioness was intently staring at our group as soon as we met the beginning of her encolsure.

Unlike like the enclosures in the private sanctuary, the enclosures within the Rhino & Lion Game Park extend for miles, and for each individual species as well. All enclosures are enclosed towards the center of the park, and are open towards the rest of natural South Africa, thus providing an open prey base for the carnivores.

After this series of pictures, I had my first chance to touch a white lioness. Her pelt was quite soft, but her skin under was durably sturdy, and only muscles existed underneath the protective organ. I didn't have the chance to take a picture of her; too busy petting her.

The guide and I noted her extreme size for a lioness, and he estimated her to be around 380-410 pounds (he said it in kilograms, I converted it into pounds). A very, very robust lioness as well.

The guide also noted a new pride beginning to form at that park, around four months before I arrived. The pride only had six females, eight cubs, and an abundance of thirteen males. I didn't have to tell him that this situation was odd; I saw the look on his face. Times are definitely changing for modern lions. A pride consisting of significantly more males than females is a complete oddity.

On to the lion and tiger cubs!
4 users Like Polar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-15-2016, 03:09 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-15-2016, 03:26 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-15-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-15-2016, 04:34 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-15-2016, 04:38 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Spalea - 08-15-2016, 07:49 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-15-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - sanjay - 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM
RE: My Trip To South Africa! - Polar - 08-16-2016, 03:46 AM