There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ape Strength: Myth vs Reality

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 06:08 PM by Shadow )

(12-15-2018, 06:42 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

Like men, gorillas have arms and hands. Like men they are able to stand up. And perhaps because of that, we would be curious to know what they are capable of, and because of that, perhaps, we are regreting that they are no more demonstrative. Because of their commune features (men, hands, posture...), it would be very easy to compare men and gorillas.

My curiosity is also from that, that there are so much myths around gorillas, or at least I consider those myths. Like "gorilla is able to lift 2000 kg". Especially when someone is saying, that it could lift that overhead, that sounds for me witless exaggeration, when there is no proof whatsoever. Of course most people who make these claims are ignorant "fanboys" or trolls amusing themselves. 

Also information tends to change, when it is transferred from one people to another. First there is some biologist answering to some reporter asking how strong a gorilla is? He thinks a little bit and then gives something (maybe to get rid of the reporter) like "well.... I think, that it could lift even 2000 kg if able to keep balance".... then reporter makes a story "scientists say, that gorilla can lift 2000 kg"..... then some reader tells to his friend "did you know, that gorillas can lift 2000 kg easily???"..... then this friend tells to next one "guess what I just heard, gorillas can lift 2000 kg just like that, did you know, it could take that Toyota of yours and throw it away just like that...:".....

When reading many comments in many places that chain of events seems to be most credible what comes to many thoughts about it, that how strong gorillas are. I have no doubt about it, that they are very strong and I like them just as much, no matter are they able to lift 500 kg or 2000 kg. But since I don´t like exaggeration, this is interesting for me :) And I think, that I am not only one, who would like to know reality.
3 users Like Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
Ape Strength - Polar - 05-31-2016, 03:34 AM
RE: Ape Strength - brotherbear - 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: Ape Strength - brotherbear - 06-01-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 06-08-2016, 02:55 AM
RE: Ape Strength - brotherbear - 06-08-2016, 11:25 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 06-08-2016, 03:04 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-07-2016, 03:18 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-12-2016, 07:03 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-05-2017, 08:03 AM