There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

(10-15-2019, 02:26 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 01:57 AM)lionjaguar Wrote: The lion killed by Jahangir, wasn't it 647.6 lbs? You only have one available data besides lions of Jahangir? We won't know if the central Indian lions were the same size as today's Asiatic lion or African lion.

I am not bring up that silly topic. I said the dominant and outcome of competition in wild. Dr Craig Packer or his fallow researchers definitely said it if you look up their websites.
Climate change. Yes, that was the answer I was looking for. Problem is there is no written records of how did lions go extinct in the Middle East. Middle East is not always desert areas. My grandma was from swampy areas of the Middle East.

The lion of Jahangir was of eight and a half Jahangiri maunds or 255 kilograms (1 Jahangir maund = 30.10 kilograms), this is stated by Divyabhanusinh (2005), argubliy the best sources for information on the Asian lion (not only India). 

About weights, we can speculate if you want, but base on the pictures, I will dare to say that the lions from that area were as large as any lion in these days. Please you need to understand that I am not saying that ALL the lions in that area weighed 250 kg, by no means. They were probably like any average lion at about 170-180 kg and similar to the present lions in West Africa and, of course, Gir. But I guess that is a matter of interpretation.

About competition, there are many factors that affect, I already quoted the conclusion of the experts about the relation of these cats in India.

Divyabhanusinh ever written about lions in the central India and how did they go extinct in the Middle East? In the end, your conclusion on lions lived in the central India is just an opinion. No one will ever know. We could guess that they were bigger than Gir's lions since it had larger prey.
1 user Likes lionjaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos - lionjaguar - 10-15-2019, 02:33 AM
RE: Photographs of wild lions - Apollo - 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - sanjay - 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Apollo - 11-27-2014, 07:35 PM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 12-19-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 04-12-2017, 09:06 AM
RE: Best Manes - Rishi - 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Rishi - 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM