There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 05:52 PM by Rishi )

(11-27-2018, 05:19 PM)Rishi Wrote: Protecting & managing the exploding main population is a lot greater challenge that needs long-term planning.
I'd encourage Gujarat to think beyond Barda & consider every other possible habitat within the state to move as many lions as possible from its farms & fields... That's not the same as encouraging monopoly.

Gujarat is afraid, so it is concentrating lions towards Arabian sea and middle of Saurashtra, if they spread to every considerable place within Gujarat, then lions will escape after some time to places like Pak, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh(if possible), even they are afraid of shifting them to Barda but forcibly shifting because of pressure of people towards lions to mp, so that this will act as relief and arrow to stop that project.

Quote:Also, make it a habit to bookmark & save links.
In future, any piece new data that cannot be traced to its source will be deleted. Opinions can be personal, information cannot.

I do have that habit but the bookmarks and saved links in pockets became so much that all of them combined are no lesser than the Pacific Confused . All those are not my opinions but read in many info sources but unable to retrieve the sources read long ago.

Quote:This was actually discussed before you joined, somewhere ahead in this thread I think.

If the relocation is done well with their numbers increasing to a healthy extent, then the new population/s will have enough genetic variety to carry on in a few decades time. No problems then.
Quote:But if it happens how I think Gujarat might try to make it happen, then MP will be given some of its most inbred & genetically weakest stock!
[i]In that case, they may not even the last few decades.

Yes, no doubt in any way that they won't stoop down to do so.

Quote:That's the reason I think forcing Gujarat won't work...

Yes, but if the central government changes in next elections (not possible though lol), spreading awareness about the endangered creature, Protests, attempting contempt petitions like Ajay Dubey's ongoing cases for lack of momentum and interest in the vital project from Gujarat and as well as MP's side may put pressure on SC to forcibly resume the on hold subject and sleeping masses by warnings (though bit of difficult and hard way).

Quote:Better to first their monopoly by rewilding zoo lions (hundreds to choose from outside Gujarat)

This is being criticized as lions in introduced in UP's Etawah Safari Park died and also 2 Asiatic lions from Hyderabad (lioness Laxmi and lion Vishnu, in 2013, died the following year, their death attributed to CDV) but, it is very possible (damn surely-in which some might have been better as they didn't go bottleneck/founder effect-i mean not from Gir pop I think, isn't it? need clarification I'm not sure).

If F3 or F4 of semi-wild Lions are trained to hunt (still have their instincts in them unrevealed and used) and survive reintroduced then, it will bring more viable population in distinct and unconnected part from Gir in another part of India. Even a completely non-native species like the tiger in South Africa (Laohu, Tiger canyons Private wildlife reserve) are surviving, even though in tiger canyons they are captive from America and other SA zoos and circuses..etc. 

All that opposition for this captive lions reintroduction in Mp is bad.
Actually, captivity is ex situ conservation that is they serve to preserve species when wild pop becomes extinct, but nowadays zoos are treated as "commercial business spots", they are built for that purpose to reintroduce animals in extinct places but doing that purpose is facing criticism.Angry

Quote:& exchange tigers for more lions(but they are satisfied with the feed on lion tourism, lol). That way Gujarat can have a very good tiger population too with both Rajasthan & MP tigers!

Now, you are talking buddy! They are about three or more places in Gujarat's boundary tiger presence is sighted. The most potential is the one sharing a boundary with Maharashtra that is Dang forest in southern Gujarat. The reality of lion-tiger coexistence which happened before in the past witnessed by ancestors will be again accomplished.

The worst/craziest and also as well as the funniest thing is that celebrating Lion-man coexistence(no offence/critics to tradition but thought to showcase to the public). (real enemy is modern anatomical human for every wild animal on earth and they say tiger another wild animal as the enemy,Laughing if a megafaunal and mega carnivorous predator alive like lion can coexist with a human-like top predator of biome sorry biosphere, then that animal's feat is nothing less than winning the world lol).
3 users Like Sanju's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Sanju - 11-27-2018, 07:28 PM
RE: Photographs of wild lions - Apollo - 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - sanjay - 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Apollo - 11-27-2014, 07:35 PM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 12-19-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 04-12-2017, 09:06 AM
RE: Best Manes - Rishi - 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Rishi - 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM