There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM by Pckts )

(06-16-2014, 10:29 PM)'tigerluver' Wrote: Regarding testosterone and mane, you are missing my point. Do not think greater testosterone increases hair, it is most probably the opposite. Greater testosterone is linked to hair loss, thus smaller manes, in theory. Note I said Tsavo lions are said to have more testosterone," as in theorized, not fact. Such theory is derived from the seemingly greater aggresson and territoriality.

What do you mean by "see these results"? Are you refer to the excerpt posted? If so, the author published the conclusions of the study derived from statistical data taken by professionals in the field, why should one say the results are meaningless? 
I think we're actually on the same page, as you said, "that would specifically disprove this theory that testosterone is the main contributor to mane lentgth or color," but something is unclear in our points. I'll reword my initial point, the study shows that Asiatic lions have no low testosterone problem or genetic botteneck based on an actual study, and thus the twitter post is false.

I asked to see the results.
As in the actual numbers gotten from the captive lions and tigers, which ones were higher. Was it species specific or individual specific. Did the locations of the captive lions and tigers chance the testosterone levels? etc...
Way to many questions to just take these alleged "results'' as fact. Your ''study" shows nothing more than excerpts on a few captive lions and tigers with no stud books, or results posted. It by no means can prove or disprove anything.

Now about Manes length being shorter for higher testosterone.
That is false, in serengetti lions the larger blacker manes, have a direct adaption to higher testosterone and physical health status, in gir or tsavo it doesn't matter. In captivity it is affected by climate same as in wild lions. So obviously the idea of testosterone levels affecting mane size or color is not the only factor.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lions - Data, Pictures and Videos - Pckts - 06-16-2014, 11:08 PM
RE: Photographs of wild lions - Apollo - 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - sanjay - 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Apollo - 11-27-2014, 07:35 PM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 12-19-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pantherinae - 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Rishi - 04-12-2017, 09:06 AM
RE: Best Manes - Rishi - 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Rishi - 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM