There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lion predation on the African Black Rhinoceros

Shardul Offline

(10-18-2016, 04:47 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 04:36 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: Here is the clip 

That certainly doesn't look like a full grown female rhino at all, nor do we know exactly how many lions were involved since the whole pride is there.

Also, in regards to your statement on Bull Capes being as large as black rhino females, I cannot speak on that, only the young male I saw that was average size for a Black rhino according to our guide and the Bull capes didn't come close to his size. Same is stated from the guide in the video I posted.
Its not the height that's the difference, its the girth. Capes just don't come close to the mass, at least the ones in the Crater and Serengeti. The only ones that are comparable in body dimensions (not girth) where the bachelor males and those guys also seemed out of the realm of possibilities of a couple of lions, which I stated in the images I took.

You know that there is a huge difference between individual sizes in herds, the big males stand out, there is no mistaking them, same with the matriarch or prime females. They just have a size and attitude unseen in the sub adults and the old.
Never once did we come across a herd of Cape or Elephant and not be able to tell who the adults where or the dominate ones, those are the ones I am talking about. "adult, healthy animals"

In case of big cats, the largest prey they can physically bring down are the large bovines and other animals similar to that size. I don't think any big cat is capable of bringing down prey like rhinos and elephants. They are simply too big. By "bringing down", I mean physically wrestling a healthy adult to the ground through sheer strength. Instead, in the rare accounts of lions/tigers killing rhinos/elephants, it simply involves a lot of biting and clawing at the giant, eventually exhausting it out by bleeding through numerous cuts. It is not at all like the way they bring down normal prey. I have seen a documentary where a pride of 20 lions couldn't kill a juvenile elephant simply because they couldn't penetrate its hide. In other situations, they were able to do so and hence were successful in their hunt. This is very similar to the way wolves and wild dogs do it, biting, clawing and disemboweling their prey.
5 users Like Shardul's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lion predation on the African Black Rhinoceros - Shardul - 10-18-2016, 09:46 PM
RE: Lion Predation - Pantherinae - 04-10-2017, 06:48 AM