There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About methods, measurements, errors, baits and the art of debating

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

First off let me say, THANK YOU Peter.

The time it must have taken you to write that is appreciated and the information and interpretation given were astounding.
I know that posters from carnivora read it, but I would like to post it there as well, since I think any body with an interest in big cats should be privy to it.
If you would like me to remove it, I will, just say the word.

Your post made me think about measuring "over the curves" and what good it may do?

I know it far harder to get a consistent measurement over the curves but if done correctly do you think that measuring that way as well as a straight line may give us a clearer idea as to estimating body mass?
If biologists were to first measure "between the pegs" then measure over the curves and deduct that first from the 2nd, with a large enough data base we could possibly have a better means of estimating body mass, no?
I just figured if a big cats curves are large it means they are a bulky animal, if we get an idea of body length than the curves, maybe we could say ''this cat was X in a straight Line and Y over the curves" thus concluding this cat would be around "this" body weight?

I am certainly not an expert on measurements so I have no clue if cats who were larger over the curves weighed more as well, I haven't looked in to it enough to even have a hypothesis, I was just curious.
Once again, thanks for the amazing work.

Regards,
2 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: About methods, measurements, errors, baits and the art of debating - Pckts - 09-25-2015, 09:22 PM