There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
behind the big cat's and bear's, who is the top predator?

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(06-06-2015, 11:08 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: As I said a leopard could kill all carnivores a cougar can kill, leopards kills smaller prey because it's not just to kill it's also to eat, with high density of lions and hyenas, killing a zebra would just be stupid, it's risky to kill such big prey if you have to high density of medium prey, aswell as killing a zebra would take a lot of time and atract the attention of lions and hyenas, and a leopard can't drag a zebra to safety.. So it's not logic for an African leopard to do it, but it happens that they kill big prey like zebra and wildebeest also reported cases of gorilla and a eland bull predation so.... 

you can't really pick and choose what you want to make a leopard a better predator without evidence. I could also say a cougar can kill all the carnivoras a leopard can kill, but it would just be my opinion. I want to see evidence. I mean how often do you hear of Leopards killing black bears of their size, a matriarch hyena or even sun bears?  Plus as far as big animals go, Cougar has a better success rate of killing them. I mean, its not like cougars have it easy too. They have the biggest  land carnivore (outside of polar bear) and pack hunters to deal with as well.

"Despite their large size, adult moose can and are killed by mountain lions. Four out of seven radio collared moose
released on the Manti in 1995 were killed by mountain lions. Geist (1998) discussed the efficiency of moose in avoiding pursuing and pack hunting predators such as wolves. However, moose may not be as well adapted to ambush type predators such as the mountain lion."

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame...e_plan.pdf

"People wonder if the cats get beat up during the capture process. F47 went and killed this adult moose just a few days after we recollared her. Its the first time we’ve documented a female cougar killing an adult moose on this project. I guess she is feeling ok!"

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://naturalskills.wordpress.com/category/nature-2

2 users Like faess's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: behind the big cat's and bear's, who is the top predator? - faess - 06-06-2015, 11:51 PM