There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raja the Tiger less than 500 lbs?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 09:38 PM by Pckts )

(05-28-2015, 08:33 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: @Pckts, which is the exact source of the article that you post? If the figure of 250 kg is confirmed, we CAN use it since now. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

@tigerluver, could you post the statement/source where @Apollo mentioned that Ustad weighed 240 kg?

We most keep this sources and weights at hand.

Now, on the 200 kg figure, the article sounds like an estimation. There are several articles with many estimations of weights, some sources states that Bengal tigers weigh about 180 kg, other about 200 kg and others even 250 kg. Popular articles with estimations of animals that have not been weighed are just that, estimations. Raja has not been weighed by it seems that Ustad it does.

This 250 kg tiger Ustad and the 220 kg tiger ST-1, both from Ranthambore, seems to be the only weights from that region available yet (the 170 kg male tiger was probably a misquote, so I don't use it anymore).

Let me search around, the 170kg was definitely wrong. I posted the info from the guy who said there is no way romeo weighed that little amount. I even posted a image of romeo and his GF and you can see quite a big difference between the two, even if the tigress was 130kg (avg) romeo is far more than 40kg larger than she.

Edit:
Found a pretty good article on his weight and info
"Udaipur : Controversies seem to not leave T-24 even after 10 days of his relocation from the lavish wilds of Ranthambore to a comparatively small 10,000 sqft enclosure at the Sajjangarh Biological Park here. The 250 kilograms weighing magestic big cat ‘Ustad’ is under scanner again, however, this time for no fault of his own. "
http://udaipurkiran.com/ustad-get-live-b...garh-park/

Also interesting to note,
"Meanwhile, authorities released visual clips of T24 tossing around his enclosure in the park. With animal lovers calling at the park continuously from various parts of the country, inquiring about his wellness, forest department gave a press briefing on Tuesday to put an end at all controversies. “ T24 is perfectly well, he is eating and moving normally. He is adapting to the new environment “ said CCF Rahul Bhatnagar. CCTV cameras have been installed at vantage points to monitor T24’s many moods. “ The footage shows Ustad lying under a tree during day and pacing up and down, usually sitting next to his cell’s wall, 30 metres from the opposite cell, occupied by a tigress called Damini,” Dr. T. Mohanraj, the DCF said. When Ustad is released from his cell in the larger open area of the enclosure, Damini is held back, and vice-a-versa, to avoid a confrontation. Park officials joke that when Ustad growls, the tigress growls back and the two could make a romantic pair, making him feel less homesick."

I don't want captive cats to breed, but if a great gene pool like Ustads could be used to populate other tiger reserves that are allocated, I may be ok with that.

While I'm not positive if he was weighed this time or not, he has been sedated numerous times so they definitely have had the opportunity to and they usually take advantage of that opportunity.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
Raja the Tiger less than 500 lbs? - faess - 05-28-2015, 04:16 AM
RE: Raja the Tiger less than 500 lbs? - Pckts - 05-28-2015, 09:25 PM