There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States T_Ferguson Online

(02-20-2024, 12:24 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 06:16 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Here is the honest answer.  I am not a brilliant man.  I am barely a smart one.  The issue is, this area of the world is filled with people.  These people have been living on the fringes of our modern world for over a century, and many of them want in on it.  Some of their people have escaped and gotten a bigger taste of this world only to go back home and live in secluded luxury, which just baits at the rest of them.  There is barely any law enforcement here unless you are one of these privileged people I just spoke of, and all you want is a way to support and raise up your family.  Right now, that is by raising livestock, or farming, or some other off the land occupation.  That puts you in direct conflict with the local inhabitants.  All the animals we have come to know.

So how do you make these people NOT want to get a better life for themselves and leave these animals alone?  You almost certainly can't.  The answers are going to require governmental scales of money.  The only 2 options I see are... We create fully modern living spaces like what the Saudi's are proposing with that line city that has all you need within a 15-minute walk (not a free way to live), so that the people have lives that take them out of the conflict.  Or, we remove all of the people from Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, and wall the whole thing off with full military guard and anti-air defenses, and leave the animals left inside alone.

Unfortunately in Kenya the livestock industry is the leading financial institution in the country and tourism is a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it. A lot of people, mostly from the West because that's how we know how to deal with certain things, are calling for boycots and all that of tourism. Im afraid this will have a terrible impact on the wildlife were striving to keep safe. An example, look at cv19, tourism basically died for a year or so and it had little to no effect in the country. Livestock was still thriving and supporting their economy. So if people are successful boycotting this will just allow more illegal grazing into the reserve and the animals will suffer greatly. I have not the answer Unfortunately.  I know there are a handful of rangers/guides, most freelance guides who drive for many different lodges, who are bad apples and are contributing to this problem. They have family connections into the Narok County govt and Massai Mara Reserve administration. 2 example is Lenny Koshal, Dennis Koshal, both crooked guides who have been in the midst of many lion spearing cover ups and especially Olobor. Their family member Christine Koshal is the Madsai Mara Chief Park Administrator and is the reason many investigations by KWS get squashed. These people are a stain on the good people of Kenya.

Right.  I don't know Kenya very well, but my wife has worked for companies that are owned by citizens and former citizens of Ghanna, Togo, Liberia, and lots of West African nations.  For people from the West to try and apply their secluded naive logic to the nations of Africa is really just... well, it's normal for our world these days.  This is why I say about the only thing you can do is clear out all of the people, or find new ways for them to live, which would require solutions that may be less palatable to those in their comfy existences.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - swtlei4u - 11-11-2017, 09:17 AM
RIP Sikio - BigLion39 - 02-16-2021, 04:17 AM
RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 02-20-2024, 08:11 PM
LyonLover - LyonLover - 03-26-2024, 04:20 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Sideliner - 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM
RE: The Birmingham Males - Tshokwane - 07-03-2017, 05:11 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 07-14-2018, 03:10 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 07-24-2018, 08:51 PM