There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-24-2023, 08:07 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 07:37 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 06:57 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: TBT 2009: Old pic of late famous male lion who was known as 'Fang'. 
Do you remember to Notch's opponent from Disney's movie "African cats" in the original Rekero pride? As it was known, Notch chased him away then, along with his four sons around 2010. It is him before this and before he broke his tooth out

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credit to Federico Veronesi

There is a video of an interaction between Fang, Olalashe, and Kijana. Not sure if the same Fang, because this picture is from 2009, but the video I am mentioning is one of the most incredible videos showing a lion's ability of forethought, for him to intentionally endanger himself in order to get accepted, that I have ever seen.

No, they were two completely different 'Fangs' and they weren't related...

The Fang that you're talking about was the 'Kichwa Fang' from the Kichwa Tembo coalition along with his brother/partner the infamous 'Kichwa Short-tail'. They were born likely in the Moniko pride around 2010 and their fathers could be the two Old Moniko Males Mzee&Lolalai (before Lolparpit and Olbarnoti took over the pride). Here is a great photo of them: light maned Fang on the left and dark maned Short-tail right (Credit to Sonia Varma Shikotra)
*This image is copyright of its original author

That video was made in 2020 when he tried to join up with Olalashe and Kijana not long after he lost his brother Short-tail but he wasn't succeed in that. 

So, they were born when the original 'Fang' on the picture above is been already an old male lion around by 2010, so they couldn't even be the same male lion biologically... 

Most probably this original Fang who ruled the Rekero pride for years has died not much after he was ousted by the Notches or they've already killed him at that time.

Yes, that is why I mentioned the photo you shared having been from 2009. Next to impossible for it to be the same Fang. I wish I knew what had happened to Olalashe, he was a gorgeous, massive male, in fact I think all three of those males disappeared not long after that video. It is a real shame that these things continue to happen in the Mara, it is like the Bermuda Triangle for lions down there.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - swtlei4u - 11-11-2017, 09:17 AM
RIP Sikio - BigLion39 - 02-16-2021, 04:17 AM
RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-24-2023, 10:28 PM
LyonLover - LyonLover - 03-26-2024, 04:20 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Sideliner - 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM
RE: The Birmingham Males - Tshokwane - 07-03-2017, 05:11 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 07-14-2018, 03:10 AM
RE: Lion pictures and videos - Pckts - 07-24-2018, 08:51 PM