There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2015, 11:14 PM by Pckts )

For the World Record lion and tiger weights, both were not weighed on scales calibrated for big cats. One was on a train scale and the other a rice scale (im not positive on the exact type of scales used) I just know neither were weighed on big cat scales.

"I did mine consideration, you can make yours. Arguable to say what is a better average and what it is not. Actual data are actual data and that’s fine. Manipulating data could be risky and that’s fine. However it is up to the brained individual to interpret data. I remind you that if you do not understand things properly it is likely you will never go anywhere in life. Fine … two male tigers (M105 and M026) bottomed the scale. So the correct actual average for those 7 or 8 well fed adult males could have been 240-250 kg. If this makes you happier I am happy to make you happier."

While I am sure you have been a member of the AVA boards for longer than I, I have been involved there for some time. I like to think I have seen as many weights of either animal that are available to the public.
That being said, I still have many questions in regards to trying and adjust based on estimated stomach content, the science is not air tight, and much of the "results'' are based off of visual estimations. No real tests have been done. i.e. weighing numerous animals before baiting then after while estimating the time of consumption between weighing. So I feel that using a bulk # is not a fair case since who knows how much each animal will eat in a 12hr "uninterrupted" setting. It would completely depend on the individuals "dinning manners" to put frankly. Some cats will gorge quickly others will take their time others may be saving it for their cubs and/or female etc.
So that being said, the correct average for Madla or others that bottomed out the scale are impossible to determine. But to remove "gorged" numbers from their bare minimum weight is not correct IMO. Even the weighing process is questionable as when you view these animals being loaded into the scales on the Pulley system you usually see a leg or forelimb hanging out. While some of the weight will be drawn towards the center, not all of it. Which is another reason why I think subtracting a bottomed out scale weight is probably incorrect.

Side note, I found this table interesting for comparing Zoo to Wild Lions from Smuts

*This image is copyright of its original author

Do you consider this table reliable?

and I also found this excerpt interesting

How do they categorize "fat" compared to being "gorged"

How can they tell the difference?
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - Pckts - 02-06-2015, 11:13 PM