There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM by GuateGojira )

I believe, based in a large database, that between 260-272 kg is the normal maximum for a male Bengal tiger, but now, I have showed that at least two specimens DO reached the figure of 300 kg empty belly. I think that those enormous tigers reported in the early days, like the Ramsay tiger, do reached 300 kg too. Sadly, there are very few corroborated records of those days, and by the way, I will give everything to see the direct book of Smythies, just to see if he published a picture of the 320 kg male tiger, and to see if my assumption that this male was gorged is correct. Image if my assumption was incorrect? I will be very happy [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Some time ago, I posted my "opinion", based in facts, that those male tigers from Kanha, that even provoked a huge (and very futile) discussion, were probably no larger than 260 kg. The result, I was criticized like an "infidel". However, as we can see, the large cats, lions and tigers, seldom exceed the 500 and 570 lb respectively (I am using round numbers, ok?).

For example, a male lion of 200 kg is already a large one, but they can, and do, reach weights of up to 250 kg, which from my point of view, is the largest "normal" weight. Now, a figure of 313 kg empty, I HIGHLY doubt it, specially for a man eater. Taking in count the lion food intake, a weight as low as 270 kg, or up to 283 kg seems more reliable.

in this part, I agree with Tigerluver, a 600 lb tiger is very large specimen, but the "enormous" title belong to the giants of up to 660 lb.

Finally, NO SPOILERS!!! Jejeje, not yet.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - GuateGojira - 08-23-2014, 10:50 AM