There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(04-22-2014, 01:12 AM)'GrizzlyClaws' Wrote: Yep, those giant specimens of Panthera spelaea/fossilis got the upper canines around 7.5cm from the skull (no less than 45cm), while Madla as a modern big cat got larger upper canines than those prehistoric big cats, then his skull has a good chance of being in the 40cm league.

Yes, I am sure that Madla had a large skull length, and taking in count that there are several male skulls of up to 400 cm, I think that Madla skull was no smaller that this figure.

I think that some modern wild Amur tigers do reach a similar sized canines just like that from Bengals. For example, the large Chanwangshai skull (16 in - 406 mm in GSL) had upper canines of 3 inches (7.6 cm), which means no less than 7 cm in the gum line. This is similar to the Madla male. I can guess that about 7 cm (to the gum line) is the normal maximum length for an upper canine in the Bengal and Amur tigers, over this figures, there will be exceptionally large specimens, at least in the wild.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - GuateGojira - 04-22-2014, 01:58 AM