There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

United States Master Chief Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-05-2017, 03:17 PM by Master Chief )

(04-04-2017, 08:18 AM)Pckts Wrote: Maybe so, are we able to determine which time frame the small number of Amur body dimensions are from?
If they are from the past then it really won't matter, if they're more recent then there is an argument I'm sure.

But if we are looking at examples of human beings, there is no correlation between poor and wealthy countries and their heights, it's more to do with their genetics.

With insular dwarfism, my understanding is that it's the small land mass that cause their rapid shrinkage in size where an Amur tiger has/had some of the largest available territories and thus they should be larger at least when their prey was more abundant. Also on islands, it's an advantage to be smaller since the food periodically declines and the smaller animals need less resources.

1. Show me your stud books that there is no pure Bengal tiger in this world beside in India zoo. I don't need to hear anything. Just show me the stud book saying that there is no pure breed Bengals with genetic analysis.

2. How come their size is smaller just because it was mixed? Their size can't be decreased unless it was mixed with the Sumatran tiger and the Malayan tiger. Mixed breed of Great Dane and Mastiff dogs are smaller than their parents? Not even true. They are about the same size as other Great Dane and Mastiff dogs.

3. I clearly remember someone wrote in wildfact. Captive Bengal tiger in India is around 170 to 210 kg. Captive Bengal tiger in India is smaller than wild Bengal tiger.

4. You said prey availability doesn't matter? Have you studied biology in college? Food intake (prey availability) is absolutely does matter unless you are comparing completely different species like domestic cat vs big cats or songbirds vs eagles. 
How come people were smaller and shorter back in 100 years ago. 6 ft was considered as a giant height pre-1940 for both American and European. Why? Because many people couldn't eat a lot. It's 100% different today. Many Europeans and White Americans are easily 5'10'' these days. 
My mom is Austrian. Average man height is 5'10'' to 5'11'' in Austria. 6 ft is common height when I was in Austria. But 6 ft is pretty tall height if you are comparing to old people (50 to 90 years old ). It was around 5'7'' to 5'8'' (men) in early 1900.

This is the same for tiger size. There is almost no food intake in Russian Far East, Northeast China, and Korea due to long development and war since late 1800. Put those Assam Bengal tiger cubs and mothers in low prey density area. Check every single Asam Bengal tiger cubs and their generations could grow huge size and weight after 20 years..
1 user Likes Master Chief's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - Master Chief - 04-05-2017, 12:11 PM