There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(03-01-2017, 02:46 AM)Master Chief Wrote: I am sorry, but I have more more doubt about what you wrote. This is what I am dubious about your statement.
If you and your friends are true. Then it have already been changed in animal journal like more than 20 years ago.  

When I found about the guy who made those chart and comparison data. He graduated from university of Guatemela with agricultural economics and agricultural plant science degrees. I don't even see any of his research papers done by himself. Bascially, he doesn't have any of real life experience of big cats. I guess definitely not the tiger since tiger is only living in Asia.
After I read what you wrote, you don't look like you are actually studying or tracking real tiger in wild and zoo. You're definitely not a keeper in zoo. How do you even know about the pure Bengal or mixed Bengal in captive zoo around the world? I don't think you can prove like that by sending some emails to a few professor and reading some books and articles.

Just a few clarifications:

1. My country is Guatemala, and my university name is "Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala" (University of San Carlos of Guatemala, in English) and is the largest university in Central America, with more than 300 years of existence.

2. My Degree is in Business Administration, not "agricultural economics" or something like that. However, I DO have knowledge of that field too. I have not made any research paper in the last years, apart from my thesis that is published in the webpage of my University. I am fully dedicated to my job in these days, my field is not "research" but "making business".

3. I have studied tigers and other big cats for more than 10 years, and although I have not worked with big cats directly in the field (for the moment....), I have literally a dozen of books (physical and digital), hundreds of papers and several PERSONAL communications with scientist that have actually worked with big cats in the field. So, my conclusions and the tables that I have made are based in REAL information, corroborated by scientists that actually worked with this great cats.

Finally, if you are trying to prove that the Amur tigers are (or were) the largest cats in the wild, you are going to be disappointment. The few (very few) reliable measurements and weights from Amur tigers in the past shows that they were of the same size than the old-modern Bengal tigers. This full topic shows the information, I advise you to read all the information again.

However, if you don't believe me, here are the scientific conclusions about this "Amur vs Bengal" situation:

1.Contrary to earlier perceptions, measurements obtained from tigers captured for radiotelemetry studies in the Indian subcontinent (Sunquist 1981; Karanth, unpubl. data) show that they are not smaller than tigers captured in the Russian Far East (Dale Miquelle and John Goodrich, unpubl. data).” K. Ullas Karanth, 2003.
http://www.nfwf.org/AM/Template.cfm?Sect...ENTID=8073

2.Surprisingly, while Siberian or Amur tigers have long been thought to be the largest of the subspecies, measurements of tigers from the Russian Far East show they are currently  no larger than the Bengal tigers of the Indian subcontinent [2] (D. Miquelle and J. Goodrich, unpublished data).Melvin Sunquist, 2010.
http://books.google.com.gt/books?id=XFIb...22&f=false

3.Despite repeated claims in popular literature that members of the Amur population are the largest of all tigers, our measurements on more than fifty captured individuals suggest that their body size is similar to that of Bengal tigers”. Dale Miquelle, 2004.
http://www.wcsrussia.org/DesktopModules/...attachment

4.Siberian tigers are often considered the largest of the tiger sub-species, although they are in fact about the same size as the Bengal tiger.WCS-Russia, 2012.
http://www.wcsrussia.org/Wildlife/AmurTi...fault.aspx

5.However, recent data on tigers captured for telemetry studies in Nagarahole (India), Chitwan (Nepal) and in Sikhote-Alin (Russia) show that tigers from these three sites are all about the same size.” K. Ullas Karanth, 2003.
http://books.google.com.gt/books?id=c44r...CCsQ6AEwAA

6. Personal communication with Dr John Goodrich:

*This image is copyright of its original author

*** Amur tigers been the largest cat is a "myth". Even "credible sources" hence this incorrect information.

This scientist have ACTUALLY worked with tigers in the field and these are they conclusion. If you don't believe in me, believe in them.
6 users Like GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - GuateGojira - 04-02-2017, 09:41 AM