There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2014, 10:57 PM by GuateGojira )

(04-21-2014, 10:15 PM)'Pckts' Wrote: I think I was referring to the largest Amur weight compared to Madla skull weight.
Also according to the madla measurements, he has the largest recorded canines
" “Madla” that was estimated at 250 kg with a neck of 90 cm, had upper canines that were about 75 mm! (Page 213). This is a new record among Bengal tigers and taking in count that this was measured to the gum line, this means a length of no less than 80 mm in the skull, surpassing any wild Amur tiger canine recorded."
I wonder what the massive skull dimensions would be on the Kaziranga tigers as well as canine measurement. If madlas where that large, imagine the Kazirangas, Waghdohs, Hairyfoot etc..

In regards to the Amur and Bengal Averages. Yes they both average over 200kg, but you included the sunderban population which would bring down the Bengals average quite a bit. If we remove sunderbans, what would the difference be between bengals and amurs? Probably quite a bit.

I have not found the weight of the largest skulls of Amur tigers, besides Mazák and the other authors don't published the weights of the skulls in them collections.

Yes, Madla have the longest canines from any wild tiger recorded in literature. We should put an image of Madla canines in order to see those formidable weapons. Although the Amur tiger know as "Amur", reported by Dr Gewalt was canines up to 90 mm and these are the longest canines in record, this came from a captive specimen, while that of Madla is from a wild one. It is interesting that Mazák (1983) stated that while the upper canines from "Amur" measured 90 mm, the lower canines measured "only" 60 mm. In Bengal tigers, it seems that the difference is no more than 1 cm.

About the average weights, if we exclude the Sundarbans population, the average of Bengal tigers, including all the records, is of 208.1 kg, while if we use only the modern records, the average for mainland tigers in the Indian subcontinent is of 219.5 kg. There are some new historic weights that I will include in the new average, so I estimate that the weight of "historic+modern" Bengals will be no less than 210 kg, so an average range between 210 - 220 kg (463 - 485 lb) can be stated for the male Bengal tigers.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - GuateGojira - 04-21-2014, 10:38 PM