There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

United States Master Chief Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM by Master Chief )

(02-27-2017, 10:03 PM)Pckts Wrote: Amurs may or may not do better in captivity but in the wild they are the smaller cat when it comes to weight.
The stp project has been studying Amurs and continues to do so and no recent weight matches their Bengal Counterparts @Master Chief

Are you doing research and tracking the tiger in India and Russia? Are you working in zoo and measuring the tiger? How can you be so sure which one is definitely bigger just by looking current data?
I've heard that the Amur tiger was almost extinct in 50 years ago. Today's Amur tiger is smaller since 1970s. Currently, they are also suffering from very low prey because people are keep poaching and hunting tiger's prey like boar and deer.
How come majority animal and biology article is concluded that the Amur tiger is the largest cat if Bengal is actually bigger? When I asked to my zoology professor and PhD students about this (Bengal is the larger than Amur). Their reactions were all like "what are you talking about?" "I don't believe you. Amur tiger was bigger than Bengal in zoo"
I don't know what's the truth, but Amur tigers would not be regarded as the biggest cat since from past if they were smaller than Bengal.

Here is prey biomass in Nepal, India, and Russia. Obviously, the Bengal tiger has to be heavier. 
Amur tiger is generally bigger if it was in the same conditions in captivity.

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Master Chief's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - Master Chief - 02-28-2017, 12:59 PM